Slow down software

I have used Anytune for Mac happily for years, but with the latest Mac OS update its ability to retain syncing with apple music has been lost. Which means that every time I open AnyTune, it has to sync all 21,000 tunes, which, needless to say, is a pain.

I'm wondering if there are good alternative slow down apps with the functions I need, including:

- seamless syncing with Apple Music

- Easy to set start-stop points for looping segments

- Simple process for changing keys

For the Mac OS.  I have the iOs version, but don't really use it.

Hm, have you tried the Amazing Slow Downer? It's an app for iOS and Android, I'm not sure if it's a desktop application too, but it may be. I'm pretty sure it still functions with Apple Music but I could be wrong. Before, it worked splendidly with Spotify and I loved it, it basically taught me how to play, being able to create loops, change pitch/transpose, change speed, it was essential. I say 'it was' because Spotify blocked their access and now I can no longer use it for all the streaming music I had. I can only use downloaded music, but that still works just as well for the music I own. 

Last id checked it worked with Apple Music and I just couldn't justify the switch back from Spotify only for that functionality, it would represent too much work. If it still functions for Apple music though, perhaps give it a shot?

Edited by Oberon

3 hours ago, Oberon said:

Hm, have you tried the Amazing Slow Downer? It's an app for iOS and Android, I'm not sure if it's a desktop application too, but it may be.

It’s definitely available for MacOS. Available at the Mac App Store for $39.99. I don’t know enough about Jim’s other requirements to speak to whether or not it meets his needs.

17 hours ago, Oberon said:

Hm, have you tried the Amazing Slow Downer? It's an app for iOS and Android, I'm not sure if it's a desktop application too, but it may be. I'm pretty sure it still functions with Apple Music but I could be wrong. Before, it worked splendidly with Spotify and I loved it, it basically taught me how to play, being able to create loops, change pitch/transpose, change speed, it was essential. I say 'it was' because Spotify blocked their access and now I can no longer use it for all the streaming music I had. I can only use downloaded music, but that still works just as well for the music I own. 

Last id checked it worked with Apple Music and I just couldn't justify the switch back from Spotify only for that functionality, it would represent too much work. If it still functions for Apple music though, perhaps give it a shot?

I used ASD for years - mostly OK, but not as well integrated with Apple Music as Anytune.  And the start/stop loop function is not as smoothly implemented.  And AnyTune has the ability to export a transposed tune; I don't believe ASD can do that.

Response from AnyTune developers indicate that the problem centers on changes Apple made to their music program, and that there's no fix expected anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been using ASD on iPads and Macs for several years and regard it highly. For practise/playalong purposes have to confess we often use simple acoustic recordings, maybe from CD player etc changing pitch, volume, and speed as required, also looping. Not exactly hi-fi no, but good enough for getting familiar with a tune.

Rob

I've used Transcibe! for several years, based on a recommendation from a former instructor. It cost $35 or so when I signed up, worth every penny.  I've used Audacity for recording and editing, something it does really well.  However, I find the Transcribe! user interface to be much less cumbersome for looping sections of tunes and changing speed while maintaining pitch.  Of course we all get used to the tools at hand.  For the one time cost, I've installed it on three or four different PC-based platforms.   It's also available for Apple. 

• Like 1

Another good one is "Grab It". This free program takes a youtube url and puts out an MP3 audio of the sound track. The sound is much better if plugged into Ausacity and slowed down than using the youtube slow down.

Update: problem solved, mostly.  The workaround is just to leave the app open, so it doesn't have to resync the entire mass of tunes.

I've tried numerous slow down apps. There are many good ones, and I used the ASD for years. But for the way I work, AnyTune still seems the best.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:03 AM, fred v said:

Another good one is "Grab It". This free program takes a youtube url and puts out an MP3 audio of the sound track. The sound is much better if plugged into Ausacity and slowed down than using the youtube slow down.

The program is called "Clip Grab". Sorry for the misinformation.