R.Evans Kookaburra anglo for sale

stefciu

Richard Evans Kookaburra #23, 30 button Wheatstone layout with new pads and bellows. $3,000 with hard case. This is a soft & sweet sounding instrument--a lovely tone, but I find myself working it (and me) hard to get the dance tunes I like out of it. Maybe it's a singer's instrument? I would be the last to ask about that. I am in western Washington State. If you're not nearby, shipping is not a problem, but we'll have to negotiate cost. I'll try to get some more pictures up, if there's interest. Thanks, stefan

IMG_0258.JPG

Not at all meant in a negative or disparaging way, I'm very curious to know what it is about this concertina (or my listing?) that elicits such a wave of disinterest in this forum. I'm not super knowledgeable about the different modern makers, but I have a fair understanding of concertinas construction and limitations, based on vintage instruments. This seems to be a well-made instrument, by a maker who (I've read) had the reputation of "the best maker in Australia." I find the tone to be less strident than typical, making it much more an ensemble than solo voice, but I'm surprised and somewhat concerned that there is NO interest in information about it! Have I made a horrible mistake in getting at all involved with it??

curious,  stefan

It can take more than a day or two (during a holiday observed in a number of countries represented here) for a response - we are not a huge community (read: small market).

I visited the late Mr. Evans at his home in 2006 and enjoyed seeing his workshop and how he approached building his instruments - clearly a lot of experience. There was a lot of wildlife around the house also!

Ken

IMG_0260.thumb.JPG.b119c268044c95ceb0c06d3e94a068f6.JPGI think it's a very nice player, quick & responsive. It's just that I'm about cutting through and it's about blending in! I should have used this picture first--it shows why I jumped in the first place: Kookaburras riveted to the ends!!

By the way, the case in the pictures is borrowed. The case that goes with the Kookaburra is a black Pelican storm case.

stefan

1 hour ago, Leah Velleman said:

Gorgeous instrument! I'm not in the market, but I hope you hear from someone who is. 

Same here. Having been accustomed to 40-key Wheatstone-layout instruments for 40 years, I would find the missing buttons frustrating. But it should be a great acquisition for anyone who's used to 30.

Also...If anyone had a 1950's Wheatstone Aeola (as made for the South African market) like the one pictured below, I'd be interested in talking about possible trade terms.

thanks for all the input and sorry for my impatience at the start of this thread...I have no experience with this way of communicating (also, no patience)!

stefan

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cc.thumb.jpg.0f9413cae72a9aedd87d5a5cb4c0dd46.jpg

Thanks for the added photos and sound file. The sound feels to me comparable to my current concertina, so I’m unlikely to leap at your instrument as someone else might. I was interested to learn more about the late Richard Evans and found this on YouTube. He seems to have been a fine man:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in taking a look at it, I live in western Washington, but I wont be back in town until early March. By all means, don't hold it for me, but if it's still available by then, I'd like to know any info you have on it. 
do you find that it plays too quietly, or that you really need to wrench on the bellows to get decent volume? or just that it has a very smooth, less piercing tone?

On 1/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, Takayuki YAGI said:

My friend in Australia once had a Kookaburra C/G and it was a beautiful and responsive instrument.
I don't know if it's C/G, Bb/F or G/D, but I think you had better write down the key of your instrument.

I suspect it is the same one