Wanted: Wicki Hayden duet

mandojoe

1 hour ago, mandojoe said:

Lacking offers of a used instrument, I bought myself a Christmas present (how many indulgences will Christmas cover this year?) of a new Elise.  First day I'm at it (today) I find I'm missing the all important D# needed to play Roslin Castle.  Can I just vocalize the D#?  Where is Cleo Lane with I need her?  Hmm ... more buttons, more money.   I'll reluctantly learn to restrict the music to do-able bounds on the Elise.  Roslin Castle will have to live only on my Maccann until next year when the bandotina makes its way to my front porch.  

Here is my very old and way too fast rendition of Roslin Castle on Elise. The substitute note does of course sound a bit out of place, but I got used to it.

It looks like this version from the Session is (just) playable on an Elise:

image.png.5fe7ab4a344a40b9460780606ba0f7bc.png

It is in Dm so your D#'s change to C#'s which you have, and the highest note is A5 which you also (just) have.

The nice thing about the Hayden is that when you get one with enough buttons to play in Em then all you have to do is shift everything over one button to the right.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

It looks like this version from the Session is (just) playable on an Elise

I play the 2-voice version - #5 on that page - on my Peacock (42 buttons). Maybe the Dm version of that is playable, or the left hand can be adapted to fit. (I often have to do that.)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mandojoe said:

Łukasz, I watched the YouTube Roslin Castle on your homemade duet (sounded GREAT!), but didn't find a rendition on Elise.  Thanks.

My levels of concentration are really low recently… I copied, but forgot to paste. It’s on my soundcloud, here: https://m.soundcloud.com/martynowi-cz/roslin-castle-wip-1

Version on YT is played as low, as I could fit it on my big box.

Edited by Łukasz Martynowicz
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveRo said:

I play the 2-voice version - #5 on that page - on my Peacock (42 buttons). Maybe the Dm version of that is playable, or the left hand can be adapted to fit. (I often have to do that.)

That version looks to be playable in Dm on an Elise without alteration. 

I imported it into Musescore and transposed it down to Dm:

image.thumb.png.d4ec4ad836f417ac6e9831e7277b0410.png

The original in the Session is notated with the lower staff as a treble clef so some of the notes are doubled and some are higher than the top staff.  It sounds quite strange!

Edited by Don Taylor
typos

Can't thank you all enough!  Dm it is!  Thanks for sharing The Session scores and thanks to Don Taylor for his version Danny Chapman's video (which introduced me to a true button meister with whom I wasn't familiar).  I think Don Taylor's transposed version just above will be the thing to start with.  

Łukasz is right, of course, that his substituted note doesn't sound right (defeats the sweetest angst note in the piece).  Łukasz, it's good that I didn't read your 2022 comments about the shortcomings of the Elise until this morning because it might have kept me from buying one.  Despite the missing notes, I'm confident this instrument will teach me the necessaries of the Hayden system.  It may also force me to get serious about transposing tunes myself ... late in the day for me but I do still have some unused synapses ... somewhere ... I think ...

50 minutes ago, mandojoe said:

Can't thank you all enough!  Dm it is!  Thanks for sharing The Session scores and thanks to Don Taylor for his version Danny Chapman's video (which introduced me to a true button meister with whom I wasn't familiar).  I think Don Taylor's transposed version just above will be the thing to start with.  

Łukasz is right, of course, that his substituted note doesn't sound right (defeats the sweetest angst note in the piece).  Łukasz, it's good that I didn't read your 2022 comments about the shortcomings of the Elise until this morning because it might have kept me from buying one.  Despite the missing notes, I'm confident this instrument will teach me the necessaries of the Hayden system.  It may also force me to get serious about transposing tunes myself ... late in the day for me but I do still have some unused synapses ... somewhere ... I think ...

Shortcomings of the Elise are way more frustrating if you aren’t on Ed Jays waiting list :D It’s an ok „first contact” Hayden, but I’m sure you will outgrow it right in time for Ed’s box to arrive. 

11 hours ago, mandojoe said:

thanks to Don Taylor for his version Danny Chapman's video

That wasn’t Don, it was me.

11 hours ago, mandojoe said:

(which introduced me to a true button meister with whom I wasn't familiar)

Danny is a member of concertina.net with the user name RatFace. He hasn’t posted in over a year, but he was lurking earlier today.

Posted (edited)

That old bugbear, misattribution, strikes again!  Maybe I don't have as many synapses left as I thought.  My apologies David.  And thanks for the Hayden transcription which, after I get an easier version into my fingers, I'll definitely and with pleasure learn to play.

Yes, I went through ProfRat's YouTube library.  Wonder if he's thought about creating a mechanized, remotely-controlled concertina?

Happy New Year!

Edited by mandojoe
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mandojoe said:

Wonder if he's thought about creating a mechanized, remotely-controlled concertina?

I know very little about him, but he doesn’t even seem to have a remotely-controlled video camera.