Wanted: Wicki Hayden duet

mandojoe

I'm now on Edward Jay's wait list for a bandotina.  As this should take at least a year to appear, it seems worthwhile to start learning to play Wicki Hayden duet button boards.  I've been working at a Maccann duet for the last couple of years and so an adjustment, to put it mildly, will be necessary.  As the bandotina is, for the likes of me, a considerable expense, I'd like to spend alap (as little as possible) on an instrument that will only serve as a learning tool.  If you can help, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks!

Joe Bartl

And, if you do have an iPad, you can get MusixPro (I think ten bucks) and that will let you choose from many pre-done layouts, as well as your own.  I play Wicki-Hayden everyday on it, and it alllows button-sizing to your hand's comfort.  While I have the Duet app Don and David B. mentioned/demonstrated, I find MusixPro simpler for my (admittedly simple) use.  I also swear by the Striso, and vouch for the relative ease of shifting among the MusixPro, Striso, and actual Hayden duet.  Not identical, for sure, but easily compatible.

3 hours ago, David Colpitts said:

And, if you do have an iPad, you can get MusixPro...

Interesting. Thanks, David. I had never heard of MusixPro, but googling it I found this video:

Curiously, the guy in the video seems to know nothing about the Wicky/Hayden system, mentioning it only once and dismissing it offhand as “very close to an accordion.” :huh:

Perhaps he’s referring to a chromatic button accordion, which is arranged very differently.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've downloaded both apps on my ipad and iphone.  The MusixPro will take some effort to figure out.  On both of the apps, I have to see if I can adjust the orientation of the buttons (right and left for treble and bass; and vertical for scales). In any case, these give me something to work with.  The striso looks like fun but requires a larger layout of funds ...

Thanks, again.

Joe Bartl

Glad to share!  And, as far as the demo person's knowledge of Wicky/Hayden, you are spot-on, David. But, it's just one of so many layouts one can have in MusixPro. I confess I've spent a bit of time in CBA B and C formats, and Janko, too.  And, the built-in sounds are so cheesy I always play it out through another synth app; one with better instruments.  I don't use GarageBand much, but ThumbJam and others work great.

Joe, I amn't sure what you mean by "adjust the orientation of the buttons......" Have you found the Wicky/Hayden layout setting?  It does take a bit, but after a while it's just a great "clone" of an actual keyboard, to me.  Please feel free to ask any little questions about it; p.m. if you like.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Your best bet might be the Striso board.

schuin_uit_IMG_0786cs-1536x1024.jpg

I enquired about Striso boards recently. It seems more may be available after New Year but cost for 2 boards and all the bits to join them is quite considerable. I didn’t get a firm answer about availability.

Edited by vpo
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, there've been shipping delays (everywhere and everything chip-related, worldwide, I think) but my hope is those who want a touchable, responsive, versatile and compact isomorphic buttonboard will find it worth the wait.  And, although Didie and others have elegantly demonstrated what a fine instrument a pair of Strisos is, in capable hands, I'd suggest that starting with one board will get the ball rolling.  In fact, there's quite a bit of room on the board for odd extra fingers, and about 3.5 octaves of range to use.  I probably won't need the second board in the foreseeable future, but have used my Striso with previously-acquired external keyboards a few times.  In my setup, the only extra "bits" needed are the iPad (which I owned already) and the "USB camera adaptor" to let me plug the Striso into the iPad.  And, if one only wants the built-in Striso instrument, just power and a headphone.  Although I don't have the skills yet, nor the nerve, my "busking kit" might be the Striso and iPad, a small external speaker, and a couple of synths and apps on the iPad.  It fits in a shoebox and weighs about 2-3 kg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mandojoe said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've downloaded both apps on my ipad and iphone.  The MusixPro will take some effort to figure out.  On both of the apps, I have to see if I can adjust the orientation of the buttons (right and left for treble and bass; and vertical for scales). In any case, these give me something to work with.  The striso looks like fun but requires a larger layout of funds ...

Thanks, again.

Joe Bartl

Hold your iPad facing away from you, like this: 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone.  I've now pretty much gotten myself oriented on the ipad and iphone versions of what I'm after.  I appreciate your help.  I will, however, keep my eyes peeled for an inexpensive something with a bellows, likely a used Elise ...  Thanks, again. -- Joe Bartl

2 hours ago, mandojoe said:

Thanks, everyone.  I've now pretty much gotten myself oriented on the ipad and iphone versions of what I'm after.  I appreciate your help.  I will, however, keep my eyes peeled for an inexpensive something with a bellows, likely a used Elise ...  Thanks, again. -- Joe Bartl

You might find this helps:

Not to unnecessarily draw this thread out (which has morphed into something other than a Want Ad) but I have to report that I've finally found a use for my old iPad:

Screenshot2023-12-11at1_15_04PM.thumb.png.7f575ed71e3fb785e985455abae6d352.png

This mimics left and right hand button boards using Musix Pro on both machines.  Still a long way from a genuine button box, but, it will get me started.  Thanks, again, for all for your suggestions.

Hello Joe, I'm not sure if you've seen my listing for sale of a 74-button Wiki Hayden duet by Edward Jay, but I just messaged you about it. I know you're already on his waitlist for an instrument but perhaps this instrument will interest you. If not, perhaps we can coordinate with him to repurpose the reeds which I'm sure is the main factor of the wait time. Please respond to my message if you're interested. Thank you!

Edited by Kaleb

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 10 quid on the musixpro app today. Don’t think I’d recommend it for Hayden practice. The drag function to move the keyboard so as to be able to play with both hands simultaneously doesn’t seem to work. Which makes it a one hand wonder. App developer hasn’t responded to my query. Not impressed tbh. 

Edited by vpo

• 2 weeks later...

Lacking offers of a used instrument, I bought myself a Christmas present (how many indulgences will Christmas cover this year?) of a new Elise.  First day I'm at it (today) I find I'm missing the all important D# needed to play Roslin Castle.  Can I just vocalize the D#?  Where is Cleo Lane with I need her?  Hmm ... more buttons, more money.   I'll reluctantly learn to restrict the music to do-able bounds on the Elise.  Roslin Castle will have to live only on my Maccann until next year when the bandotina makes its way to my front porch.