Linota serial number 50345

Jako Laubscher

5 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

frankly, my guess would rather be even less

(it seems to be a far cry from what we would usually expect from the brand name Linota I‘m afraid)

anyway, good luck with the sale

I wouldn't say it's worth less than 2000 rand. With the exchange rate vs the dollar, that'd be less than $110 USD. If the concertina is in good condition, decent in tune, bellows free of holes and no damage, it would be sensible to expect greater than $300-$400 I think. I've seen mediocre to awful lachenal 20 buttons go for more. It always depends on the market your advertising in. 

I've played 20 button wheatstone linotas before and I enjoyed them significantly more than the lachenals I've had. It just always depends. 

Jacko, I'd suggest listing it for sale on eBay and allow it to be internationally ordered. The South African market is not like the rest of the world when it comes to concertinas. It's raining post-war wheatstones in South Africa, you're more likely to get more for your sale if it's advertised to the US or UK or Europe. I personally wouldn't settle for that low of a number but just bare in mind that 20 button concertinas do not fetch nearly as much as 30 button instruments. 

Edited by Oberon

As we are on a "Wheatsone note", :)  I would appreciate it very much if you could more or less "guestimate" what the other 2 concertinas I have in my possession would propably go for?  Photos inserted...

First one is a 3 3/4 serial number 58699 (first 4 photos.)

Then 3 row serial number 54578 .  It looks like it could have been painted black, but not sure... (3 photos attached.)(IMG_20231207_121425; IMG_20231207_121452; IMG_20231207_121514)

Thanking you in advance...

Regards

Chrissie

IMG_20231207_120954.jpg

IMG_20231207_120929.jpg

IMG_20231207_120920.jpg

IMG_20231207_121201.jpg

IMG_20231207_121425.jpg

IMG_20231207_121452.jpg

IMG_20231207_121514.jpg

I've seen a fair number of those name plates on post war wheatstones, so that's not so unusual to me. 

The value of these concertinas depends on their playability and internal condition. As standard, 6 fold bellows and 30 buttons is bound to be of interest to the Irish traditional music crowd, (the metal ended one has 9 folds and presumably more than 38 buttons!) but 5 fold bellows is a bit more restrictive, so the value of the black one might be less than the metal ended one. Post war wheatstones will not likely fetch as much as a pre war model, but if the metal ended model is in good playing condition and it's in the keys of C/G, I've seen them go for over $2,000 USD. But you'd have to confirm the keys they're in for sure. Bb/F is not as valuable on the market as C/G for example

It would be work taking photos of the reed pans too, if you feel you can take the boxes apart carefully (and don't leave them open for too long mind you, do a bit of reading on the subject of disassembly before hand). Wheatstone had a number of different assembly methods for their reeds at this time and that too affects value. 

Edited by Oberon
Added a bit of info