Id plastic body Italian concertina

Fanie

14 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Brunner us where I sent for spares for my own (Hohner branded) concertina years back ( where I got spare buttons sent for free!). , before they closed, and I believe the new Italian company uses their equipment these days.

Bastari became Stagi became Brunner (who also made instruments bearing the previous brand names), and now it's Concertine Italia...

The courier delivered the red plastic concertina and it is truely the ugliest concertina I have ever seen. As the seller had told me, there was something shaking inside and it had a missing button. Otherwise it is in very good, almost unused condition. The seller told me she bought it more than 30 years ago with the intension to learn to play, but never got to it. 

I opened it up and found that one reed block came off and the reeds were all over. The missing button was also inside the one side. So, I cleaned everything up and glued the reed block back in place with super glue. I waxed the reeds back. The buttons had the typical Italian little rubber tube holding the the buttons in place. The rubber tubes were all hard and brittle, so I had to replace them and put everything together again.

I was surprised to find it has two sets of reeds, an octave apart. The one set of reeds is very low and the sound is very loud, it almost sounds like a church organ.

Maybe one day I can start a project and rebuild it with wooden sides which will look better than the plastic. Or maybe rebuild an old Scholer with this one's reeds.

Nobody plays with a plastic concertina. 😏

Edited by Fanie

Oh poor thing ( concertina)!

Sounds like a bit of a wreck altogether, I have never heard of plastic faced one; except those very cheap plastic toy accordions they sell!

Never mind, you may find a better quality one elsewhere online, often those wooden edged Anglos often for sale, at good price could be better option. Often find the 20 key GDR made ones for sale.. generally reliable, and chunky design. I started on one of those  (GDR) concertinas from Kligenthal and used it for years.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

• 1 month later...

I started working on the plastic concertina. Firstly I removed the set of low reeds and now it sounds very good.

Then I made new metal ends for it. I traced some Wheatstone scrolls on 0.9mm aluminium plate and cut it out with a scroll saw. But now it is only flat plates without the raised center. How do you concertina builders bend the sides down to raise the center?

Now there is still some red plastic exposed on the sides and I want to glue wood veneer to it. What glue will you recommend for it? 

Thanks

Looks great and nice to adapt from found materials ( instrument already available)..

Well done with scroll saw cut plates also.

I use veneer a lot for woodwork, and on wooden panels I have used a resin type glue( Evo stick) in UK shops, as it is strong, but can wipe off excess glue marks before dry.

Other I use for quick bonding is a contact adhesive.. but used with caution, as it literally grabs onto surfaces and is then immovable! 

In going over plastics ? Not sure if best option. Make sure glue is suitable for plastics, because some can react and possibly dissolve the plastic surface!!

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

That looks really very good to me.

Walnut veneer is a great veneer to use.. one if my favourite veneers is Satin wood, with a yellow colour, and the 'satin' lustre over its surface. That would be a bit too garish for your concertina, but Walnut looks good. Give it a light polish or one thin brush of lacquer varnish and it will bring out the wood's colour and grain.

It's certainly an improvement on that red plastic casing!🌝🌝

• Like 1