Anglo Hand Strap tightness.

This subject has been aired many times, but as it has just come up again in discussion I will add my bit to it.

Hand straps do not want to be too loose as you need to control the instrument. 

At the same time hand straps do not want to be tight ,as you require firstly personal comfort and be able to reach all buttons.

The four fingers go through the strap and the thumbs need to reach the air button and drone if you have one. 

If you touch your little finger with your thumb the back of your hand arches. The strap needs to be the exact tightness so that if you arch your hand it holds the concertina, but enough movement to reach the buttons.

A number of you may disagree with this setting and of course your additions to this discussion are very welcome.

Al

• Like 1

I have mine moderately loose, and adjust the tension as required either by pulling my thumb in towards my hand, or by arching my hand.  Loose enough to reach every note, tight enough to control the bellows.

I play mainly harmonic style so I need my little finger/pinkie to be free to move.  The left little finger is the busiest finger of all, so it has no time to support the instrument.  I play seated, with the concertina on my lap.

If I were playing mainly a single line of melody with no accompaniment, or if I were standing up to play, I would perhaps have my straps a bit tighter.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:16 AM, Alan Day said:

The strap needs to be the exact tightness so that if you arch your hand it holds the concertina, but enough movement to reach the buttons.

Precisely!

There has to be a certain elasticity in the system, but it should be in your hands, not in the straps.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1