XYZ Hornpipe

Jim Besser

Just messing around with a new-to-me tune - the XYZ Hornpipe, attributed to James Hill in the mid 19th Century and, maybe, deriving its name from a famous racehorse.  Also known as "A Modal Hornpipe."  From what I've read, it's exact origins are murky, and I'd be interested in any additional information.

I put it together with an old favorite, Mr. Moore's Hornpipe. I think I first learned this - like so many other tunes - from a Brian Peters recording, but no doubt my interpretation was bent and twisted by hearing it played for the Border Morris dance, Lorenz's Butterfly - one of my absolute favorite dances.

Played on a 30 button Jeffries GD Anglo concertina.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/xyz-hornpipe-mr-moores-hornpipe-11-9-2023

• Like 7

1 hour ago, John Wild said:

My notation for this tune gives the following information:-

Northumbrian Hornpipe, first published in 1831 & named after a famous racehorse, winner of the Gold Cup from 1811-1814

Thanks! Fascinating to learn the origins of these tunes.

49 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

I like it. My Morris Dance team has tasked me with keeping an ear out for good Morris tunes. I think this IS one.

Yeah, it immediately struck me as a good tune for a border dance.  Wish I still had a border side to play for!

4 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

Yeah, it immediately struck me as a good tune for a border dance.  Wish I still had a border side to play for!

We do border and Abbots Bromley as “Winter Traditions” for performances throughout December. The resemblance between the B section of XYZ and Cuckoo’s Nest will make it fit right in.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, John Wild said:

My notation for this tune gives the following information:-

Northumbrian Hornpipe, first published in 1831 & named after a famous racehorse, winner of the Gold Cup from 1811-1814

The Northumbrian Pipers' society's 'The fiddling music of James Hill' says :

Another racehorse[..]. Though its principal successes (a run of four consecutive wins at Newcastle Races) predate Hill's working lifetime, the horse would have been talked of as the predecessor of Beeswing, Underhand and others.

Most versions of this tune are in various types of Am, with one only placing in in A major. Several piping variants have developed, to either use, or avoid, G#s. less common on chanters in earlier times. [..]

• Like 1

22 hours ago, David Barnert said:

We do border and Abbots Bromley as “Winter Traditions” for performances throughout December. The resemblance between the B section of XYZ and Cuckoo’s Nest will make it fit right in.

Same with us - traditionally, we do one border dance in December, plus Abbotts, Cotswold the rest of the year.  You've seen our border dance - we did it at the Dog Days years ago.  It's 3 dances tacked together, devised by the late Nick Robertshaw.

4 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

You've seen our border dance - we did it at the Dog Days years ago.  It's 3 dances tacked together, devised by the late Nick Robertshaw.

Yes, on the back deck of Wagner Vineyards overlooking Oneida Lake. The way your guys sang “Fanny Frail” changed forever the way I play it for my guys.

11 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Yes, on the back deck of Wagner Vineyards overlooking Oneida Lake. The way your guys sang “Fanny Frail” changed forever the way I play it for my guys.

What a cool place to dance.  I miss going to that ale - 2 of the 3 sides I attended with are defunct.