Eng Concertina Cds

Long story short....I started playing English over 20 years ago. Played constantly for about 5 years...then off and on....and then off. The fiddle and banjo kinda took over my life for the last 10 years.

Now I've rediscovered my love of the Eng Concertina, but I've been out of the music loop so long I don't know who, what or where to buy CDs with Eng Concertina.

As far as I can tell EVERYONE in the world seems to be playing Anglo. At least that's how it looks when reviewing CDs and such.

Any suggestions on finding some inspiring Eng Con music?

By the way...this site in simply incredible!!

I really like the "Black Boxes" CD  - wide mixture of folk styles - all EC - it seems to turn up on E-bay regularly.

Agreed, Sarah Raven's CD is really good - she's a brilliant and inspiring player. I think ebay.uk is their main way of marketing the CD and they have one or two copies on all the time. Its on their now

http://tinyurl.com/7fams

"But it now" at £4.99 + p&p

Now I've rediscovered my love of the Eng Concertina, but I've been out of the music loop so long I don't know who, what or where to buy CDs with Eng Concertina. Any suggestions on finding some inspiring Eng Con music?

What sort of music are you into? That could help us point out which English concertina player recordings to check out. Also - let us know where you're located so that we can let you know what shops carry the stuff.

If you're in North America, the Button Box carries a lot of concertina recordings. Their recordings let you know what type of concertina or accordion is featured on each one. Unfortunately their not sortable, but you can "Find" them easily enough by cycling through with CTRL+F (or whatever the Mac equivalent is).

Some of my English favorites there are:

Richard Carlin, Sara Graves, John Nixon, Nowell Sing We Clear, John Roberts, Simon Thoumire, Wild Asparagus.... Many of those have several albums. There's a lot more though I'm less familiar with them or not as keen on the style/genre.

Some of my English favorites there are:

Richard Carlin, Sara Graves, John Nixon, Nowell Sing We Clear, John Roberts, Simon Thoumire, Wild Asparagus.... Many of those have several albums. There's a lot more though I'm less familiar with them or not as keen on the style/genre.

thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Richard, I bought my Morse Albion from you in Jan and love it! I wrote you to rave about it. I STILL think it sounds and plays better than my old 5 bellows Wheatstone I sold you a few years back!

Regards,

James Eoppolo Avondale PA

aka Constant Screamer

There are plenty of recordings out there. Try any of Aistair Anderson/High Level Ranters recordings for a start. Alf Edwards appeared regularly on A L Lloyd's recordings. Two of my favourites are Lea Nicholson 'The Concertina Record' (and his 'Horsemusic' if you can find it) and Dave Townsend's 'Portrait of a Concertina' on Saydisc. I think Lea Nicholson has his own website (jamring.com). If you want something a bit more highbrow (?) try the two Bridge recordings of music by Regondi, the great 19th century virtuoso, played by Douglas Rogers.

That's a start, though you may have to get some of them on vinyl and transfer them onto CD!

Chris