Fingering (i.e. what fingers to use) on anglo concertinas

Kathryn Wheeler

• 2 months later...

I use a system on more recently acquired anglo very similar that I have used for 2 decades with melodeon. That is with highlighter pens, green for push and pink for pull, marked on the dots themselves. That makes the choice of row for 'reversible' notes eg lower D pretty obvious at a glance. The ones that employ the accidental row eg reversed A and G on the left, get a 'special' orange mark with 'acc' scribbled underneath.

Going back to a half forgotten tune it is simple to see the decisions made originally without starting all over again and also gives a quick view of 'smoothed out' versus 'lumpy' particularly with Irish tunes (plus likely air problems)

Only rarely do I add a scribbled note about fingers using F1 for index and F4 for pinkie.

This can all be on paper copies and if necessary scanned into 'forScore' on an iPad for use away from home where it is rapidly accessible.

It is also simple to send a pdf copy to a music friend for some criticism or help, or sometimes maybe to help them.

Yes I do get teased about my 'technicolour music', but it works for me.

Edited by Robin Tims
Correction of a 'note' error plus improved phrasing.