muffled reed

I've recently acquired a lovely (and much loved) Jones 26 button Anglo that seems to be the box of my dreams.  It's fast enough for session playing if I pushed it, but my focus is old-style Clare playing up-and-down the rows, a more relaxed approach, and it's damn near perfect for that.  But one reed block--the middle D/E on the G row (left hand) is dull and lifeless on both the pull and the push.  I've tried removing potential debris, increasing the space between the reed tip and the slot, removing and replacing the block.... I do notice that when I plunk the reeds they sound sort of flat without the wee ring that the others have--these are more of a "clunk."  Do reeds just die?  Both on the same button?  Probably there are a dozen threads on this topic but it's a tricky search.  Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by pavel
error

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'reed block'.   It almost sounds like you have an accordion reeded instrument.  I am no historian, but didn't think Jones made this type of instrument.  Also, unless this instrument is in some other key than C/G, there wouldn't be a single button that has both a D and an E on it in the G row on the right hand.  

Is the 'block' that you 'removed and replaced' the same as the 'reed block' that you referred to earlier in your post or are you now referring to one of the six blocks that the reedpan rests on in the bellows?  A loose reedpan block could cause the muffled sound you describe.  Also, the location of these notes on the reedpan, could cause them to sound dull if the pad hole for these notes opens underneath your palm.  I think if we can see pictures of what you are referring to in each instance that used the word "block" we can better help you.

Yes, bad terminology; you explained it better. I will check its tightness.  And yes left hand, sorry. (Edited.)  It's not a palm problem, though the inside of the "lid" (inventing my terms here) is oddly lined with a double layer of thick felt in a way I've never seen.  I suppose I could try removing it.  Baby steps.

I've encountered baffles before, but nothing this...robust.  I've slept on flatter pillows. It's absent on the RH side.  I've removed it, and the entire LH side speaks more loudly and clearly.  (No surprise.)  The wonky note still wonks, but will try the fixes suggested.  Thanks!

I would check the valves. I keep encountering the following problem: someone has cleaned and revalved a concertina (and an unsuspecting buyer has got hold of it in a 'restored' condition) but fixed valves that are too thick and or has glued too much of them so the valve is restricted…but they obviously never checked the result of their work. And the smallest tweak can alter the behaviour of the reed, taking it from dull to bright. Sometimes just flexing the valve up and down/back and forth can fix the issue. Or I replace the valve, taking care just to glue the very end of it and not half of it. Leather accordion valves work ok..the funny shape is just so they fit in the tapered chamber. If you have a way to get the reed pan out and lay it flat on some tuning bellows, block the chamber end and you can then observe the reed working and play around with the valve. The other problem is that the cleaned reed (all lovely and shiny) hasn't been 'voiced'…in other words the gap has been set correctly, or of the reed has been distorted by cleaning, the shape and set haven't been optimised. Or the reed is loose in it's slot. All of these things can be dealt with on the tuning bellows. If it sounds good on the tuning bellows but dull in the instrument, then it's an air issue…the pan isn't sitting flat against the action box or some other problem. 

Edited by RogerT

All very good ideas.  I have an old useless one row box in pieces but the bellows is sound and I think I can trick it out to use as a bellows. My progress so far--I checked all the issues mentioned, including replacing some very weather seals around the inside of the bellows frame.  Upon reassemblly the reed sounded fine, except that somehow in my tinkering I'd disturbed a valve on another notes so that it didn't play--an easy fix, though when I reassembled the box the wonky note was wonky again--i.e., I believe it must be "an air issue," i.e.somehow the action box fit isn't snug.  More tiny screwdrivers! Thanks!