Wakker Anglo Concertina

I'd love to hear from folks who own or have played Wakker Anglo concertinas, and in particular, the A4 model which is aimed at Irish playing.  Any comparisons to other traditional Anglo concertinas would be interesting (Carroll, Suttner, Kensington, Edgley, etc.)  I've tried posting this on social media, and I'm getting the idea that maybe there just aren't that many Wakker Anglos out there.

I think I may have a chance to compare a Wakker and a Carroll this fall.  Maybe I can post something, which will be from the viewpoint of someone with just under two year's experience with the concertina.  Still hoping to hear from others!

• Like 1

I purchased a Wakker A4 in 2013, and I am delighted with it.

Quality of construction: excellent. Reeds, bellows, action are top-notch.

Quality of sound: superb. Very well suited to Irish tunes, as advertised.

Ease of play: effortless. I have a Dipper C/G and some Jeffries (C/G, Bb/F, Ab/Eb), and they all require a bit more effort, particularly on reels.

The Wakker is louder than the Dipper, but quieter than the Jeffries. The timbre is very pleasing. Perhaps a bit less "personality" than the timbre of the Dipper and Jeffries, but that's part of the charm of concertinas. Every instrument is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I purchased a Wakker A4 in 2013, and I am delighted with it.

Quality of construction: excellent. Reeds, bellows, action are top-notch.

Quality of sound: superb. Very well suited to Irish tunes, as advertised.

Ease of play: effortless. I have a Dipper C/G and some Jeffries (C/G, Bb/F, Ab/Eb), and they all require a bit more effort, particularly on reels.

The Wakker is louder than the Dipper, but quieter than the Jeffries. The timbre is very pleasing. Perhaps a bit less "personality" than the timbre of the Dipper and Jeffries, but that's part of the charm of concertinas. Every instrument is different.

Frosty, how would you describe the dynamic range?  If you don't necessarily want to be the loudest in a session, can you throttle back a little and still have all the playing qualities you describe?  I really appreciate your comments, and I'm happy you're happy with your A4!

Looking more at their website, I see an expected delivery time of 3 to 4 years for a new concertina.  Maybe that's why we don't see or hear of them that often!  At my age, I don't think I want to wait that long.

I enquired about the waiting list of Wakker Concertina last year. 

I was informed by mail that 

> The lead time (waiting time) for a Wakker concertinas currently is 48-50 months (around  4 years).

> The waiting time has been pretty stable for the last 30 years, with 3 years as the shortest and 5 years 

> as the longest lead time. 

I started playing concertina 5 years ago, and one of Wakker concertinas could have been mine if I had 

joined the waiting list at that time!

Totani

Wow.  If only we could see into the future!  I didn't know how much I would enjoy the concertina and only recently have begun considering an upgrade from my Clover.  Thanks for your info about the wait times.  I won't bother emailing them.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a clover --

I got on the list August 2020, and an e-mail follow up to Wim in June last year put me about "halfway".... so maybe next year?? I figure one day it'll just happen. I'm looking to get a 40-key wheatstone anglo when the time comes.

I'm also on a few other waitlists -- I think one thing to consider, Parker, is if you want to upgrade from a Clover it's either going to be vintage or one of these waitlists. Might as well get on a couple now if you think you're gonna stick to it.

• Like 1