Custom Anglo tablature button naming now available in my ABC Transcription Tools

1 hour ago, Notemaker said:

Well sort of yes etc...

OK - like this?

notemaker2.thumb.gif.86ecb103908a0fc6ad2edb970cabe962.gif

I have to say, I'm not convinced, for much the same reasons as those given by Michael Eskin...

Personally, I don't much like these 'inner', 'outer', 'middle', row descriptors - I find them confusing, and they only say something about the position of each row, and nothing about the 'role' or 'function' of each row. To me, there are three rows, the 'accidental row', the 'home row', and the 'G/D/F-row' (depending on whether I am dealing with a C/G, G/D or Bb/F instrument). I'm probably in a minority of one as far as that's concerned...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

OK - like this?

notemaker2.thumb.gif.86ecb103908a0fc6ad2edb970cabe962.gif

I have to say, I'm not convinced, for much the same reasons as those given by Michael Eskin...

Personally, I don't much like these 'inner', 'outer', 'middle', row descriptors - I find them confusing, and they only say something about the position of each row, and nothing about the 'role' or 'function' of each row. To me, there are three rows, the 'accidental row', the 'home row', and the 'G/D/F-row' (depending on whether I am dealing with a C/G, G/D or Bb/F instrument). I'm probably in a minority of one as far as that's concerned...

Yes ! That is it.

I would use this system if making a tab for my own use, but not publish at this time.

Thank you for the illustration.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:57 AM, DaveRo said:

I think you're looking for the facility to specify a personal keymap, rather like the ones that computers have to map a physical keyboard key press/release codes to the symbol (or function) that it means.

Thank you for the comment.

Yes! Personal at this time.

I had defined the first group as follows; must have two digits in 5 pairs, to begin with Zero, one: so 0,1, 2,3 ... and so on.

It suits me better because not only do the values indicate the  bellows direction, but also to which side, LHS or RHS, and to which row, and button they refer.

So if first digit is even, then it is on the LHS. If  odd the opposite. Decade indicates which row, 0, 2, 4 (LHS IR, MR, OR),

or 1, 3, 5. ( RHS IR, MR, OR); last digit indicates which button is required, always a number '0...9'.

So in the first decade/row, which by definition is even, since Zero is defined as even; all the numbers are LHS inside row. Now the LHS middle row happily falls in the second decade, since 2 is even; thus for example bottom button middle row is 20,21 and so on. Likewise it will be found that the LHS accidental row is also an 'even' case, since 4 is even; thus the bottom button there is 40,41.

On the RHS the decades/rows are odd, 1, IR; 3 MR; and 5 OR;

So any random number between 0 and 59, we can predict which direction the bellows is to be moved, AND which side, LHS or RHS the button can be found, as well as the row and the precise button number.

For example, '45', this is on the LHS outside/accidentals row of a C/G box, a draw bellows on the middle button of a 5 button row, in my case, Jeffries layout, it is D#. In Gary's tab it is 3A.

A cheat sheet for the LHS / RHS row location index, where 'x' is any number ' 0 ... 9'.

O, x = LHS IR; 2, x = LHS MR; 4, x = LHS OR;

1, x = RHS IR; 3, x = RHS MR; 5, x = RHS OR;

Numbers that occur where 'x' lies indicate bellow direction, even = press, odd = draw.

I could not think of a simpler system for my own use, and may give some time to investigating a computer program to subscript my tune staves made from ABC with it.

Thanks to Michael, above, and lachenal74693, illustration, and  for the wonderful thread.

notemakerlayout.gif.3253c126a6094e16aa40bccfb5523717.gif

Edited by Notemaker
Forgot a comment/s

2 hours ago, Notemaker said:

[1] I could not think of a simpler system for my own use, and may give some time to investigating a computer program to subscript my tune staves made from ABC with it.

[2] Thanks to Michael, above, and lachenal74693, illustration, and  for the wonderful thread.

[1] As ME has already hinted, I suspect you will have some trouble finding a program which can handle different button names for push and pull. I can see a way to do it, but it's not something I'd be eager to do...

[2] That diagram had an error, and in the light of what you said subsequently, was 'incomplete'. Here is an amended version:

notemaker-3.thumb.gif.a070dc2a44bcc93a3a12552251b596f8.gif

This still looks pretty complicated to me...

Have a look at Gary Coover's survey of tab systems in this thread - interesting - and scary...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

[1] As ME has already hinted, I suspect you will have some trouble finding a program which can handle different button names for push and pull. I can see a way to do it, but it's not something I'd be eager to do...

[2] That diagram had an error, and in the light of what you said subsequently, was 'incomplete'. Here is an amended version:

notemaker-3.thumb.gif.a070dc2a44bcc93a3a12552251b596f8.gif

This still looks pretty complicated to me...

Have a look at Gary Coover's survey of tab systems in this thread - interesting - and scary...

Thanks for the update.

I have not looked at how I 'could' associate two digit numbers to ABC letters in a tune, but suspect that once gotten one of them, the rest should follow the same path.  After all, the stave does indicate the key, time values, etc. So really all I need to get on the bottom of it is a number below each note, instead of a letter. Assuming the Do Rhay Me model.

Anyway, since it is for my own use it is not otherwise a bother.

Thanks again.

Edited by Notemaker
Correction