C#/G# concertina (Eb Anglo)

Bothy1932

I hoped someone else would respond by now, but as no-one has I will. I can't make sense of your requested keys. Do you want the basic keys to be C# and G# or do you want one of them to be E flat?

You'll have to go a long way to find a concertina with basic keys of C# and G#, but if you do find one it will have some D#s on both push and pull, as those would correspond to Ds on an ordinary C-G. Unless you also require non-equal-temperament tuning which makes D# different from E flat, you will have some E flat notes. If on the other hand you mean that you want one offering the key of E flat as one of its basic keys, that's going to be equally hard to find.

It is also possible to have a C/G concertina tuned up a half step, to the requested C#/G#. It would preferable to do this on an Anglo concertina with real concertina reeds (steel reeds in a brass frame), rather than re-tune a hybrid concertina (with accordion reeds waxed into place). That said, there is no reason why a hybrid concertina couldn't be tuned up a half-step. I haven't ever done it but it does seem possible.

5 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I hoped someone else would respond by now, but as no-one has I will. I can't make sense of your requested keys. Do you want the basic keys to be C# and G# or do you want one of them to be E flat?

It's my understanding that Irish players play mainly in D on a C/G box. In consequence they refer to C/G concertinas as "D concertinas". Hence a C#/G# box is a "D# concertina". Or Eb.

3 hours ago, Little John said:

It's my understanding that Irish players play mainly in D on a C/G box. In consequence they refer to C/G concertinas as "D concertinas". Hence a C#/G# box is a "D# concertina". Or Eb.

I suppose you could say that, when it comes to Irish Traditional Music on the Anglo Concertina, the concertina has two names: the formal name, as in the names of the rows - G/D, C/G, D/A etc. and the "nickname."

The nickname is usually one note above the first key, so a C/G would be a D or concert-pitch concertina. A C#/G# would be an E flat concertina, a B flat / F concertina would be a C concertina and an A flat / E flat concertina would be known as a B flat concertina.