Loved Or Unloved?

How does your family feel?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's probably best not to include pets as "family" for the purposes of this poll, though that could be another category of interest.

Attitudes might correlate with musical interests of family members, and I'll start another poll about that.

"I think it's probably best not to include pets as "family" for the purposes of this poll, though that could be another category of interest."

But...my dog is the only one that sings when I play? That shows a discerning pup.

The other 2 only sing to bagpipes. One thinks it is a tenor drone and the other a bass drone.

My family supports my playing withing bounds. The kids who don't care about my music, know it is important to me and tolerate it. Dominique has actually asked me to play for her a few time and truely move me to tears. The bulldog does not get up and leave the room but grunts occationally...is that good?

Well I live alone (at least for right now) so I can't say where my family and/or roomates would support me. That being said, my parents have been very supportive of my struggles to learn and play Irish Music. Granted they are more supportive when I play my Button Accordion than when I play the Concertina... and most supportive when I play the Box I have that is tuned rather wet. But there is no accounting for taste :).

--

Bill

My wife enjoys my concertina playing, but our three month old baby objects STRENUOUSLY. I think she finds the tone upsetting when compared to the in utero guitar playing she heard until her birth.

Maybe I need thicker baffles? Or more soothing airs?

Resident family, supportive of concertina and just about everything else. Even my unsupportive dog who doesn't come when called will come to me, curl up and sleep as I play. Great poll, makes me feel lucky indeed!

Family supports the new musical addition to our family. My wife seems to like concertina music and asks me to play, the kids are supportive of me playing, but don't care much for the music. Our cat invariably leaves the room within a few minutes of me starting up. It may be a comment on the quality of my playing at this stage though.

Well, I've voted as best I could, but there isn't a category for "Resident family also plays the concertina".

Chris

Edited to add PS: the cat doesn't mind concertina at all but objects strenously when Anne plays the fiddle out of tune. :(

Edited by Chris Timson

Hi Chris,

Did Anne take up the fiddle 'cos she didn't like the concertina?

Ellen is ambivalent about the sound of my box some days although she says it gets me out of the house to meet and play with people and is thus a great thing. Mark famously hates it and everything to do with it. It's just another very good reason why he's soon to be history........

Jill

My wife liked more the Organetto sound, she think the concertina is too dry (harsh), but she definitely like more the Irish tunes then the waltz and tarantella I performed before, and she is more willing to play along with me at her viola. My brother definitely like the concertina more! Him just bhought a tin whistle from Busmann to play with me (him know how to play clarinetto, hope will learn the new instrument fast)

My dog used to leave the room when I played the concertina.

Whereas the cat used to leave the room when I played the fiddle.

Or was it vice versa.

My son - after cautiously being asked - politely hinted that my playing started to get a bit on his nerves. Early sunday morning ...

Have no more to report !

I think it's probably best not to include pets as "family" for the purposes of this poll, though that could be another category of interest.

Attitudes might correlate with musical interests of family members, and I'll start another poll about that.

My pets are the only uh, 'people' who truly love me, though.... :(

In fact, they're really the only ones worth playing for, I think. :)

(I'm kinda just kidding, but...half-serious, too! :unsure: