C Jeffries Maker 44 Key Anglo

odonovanchris

I recently acquired this Jeffries anglo concertina in the keys of C/G and was wondering if anyone could help me estimate the age? Would the "C Jeffries Maker" stamp date it to around 1900? It has 44 keys including a bird whistle and drone. The bellows are losing air and appear to have been repaired in the past. It is indeed an anglo concertina and I've looked at all the reeds and everything appears to be original. Doesn't seem to be a duet conversion. It came in the original leather box.

I intend on getting it repaired and am hoping the original bellows can be mended. Also it seems like the hand strap screw holes were removed and filled at some point since the straps are now only attached to the metal ends. The veneers around the edge have some chips that I'm hoping can be repaired.

Overall I'm fairly sure it can be restored to playing condition. I've never seen a 44 key like this before (except maybe Micheal O'Rahallaigh's box?). It measures approx 5 1/2 inches across the flats and weighs in at around 1.5kg. Would love if anyone could provide further insights. Thanks!

Chris.

LEQUE7049.JPG

FNNZ5714.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

It looks to me like a perfectly normal 4-row Jeffries, though 5 1/2" would be unusually small - it looks the same size as the very similar 6" one that I have here.

The "C. JEFFRIES, MAKER" stamp shows it was made before the move to 23, Praed Street in the early 1890s.

It couldn't possibly have been made as a Jeffries duet because that system was only devised in the 20th century.

I'm counting 46 total buttons.  Is the LH thumb key a second air button or bowing valve?  It's a long ways from the 2 small extra holes in the reed pan.  The extra note ( compared to a 44+air key set of  Shakespeare ends I have ) is the outermost top row button on the RH side.

Edited by wunks

2 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

It looks to me like a perfectly normal 4-row Jeffries, though 5 1/2" would be unusually small - it looks the same size as the very similar 6" one that I have here.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the info. I measured mine again and it is indeed 6" across the flats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wunks said:

I'm counting 46 total buttons.  Is the LH thumb key a second air button or bowing valve?  It's a long ways from the 2 small extra holes in the reed pan.  The extra note ( compared to a 44+air key set of  Shakespeare ends I have ) is the outermost top row button on the RH side.

I wasn't sure if people include the air button as a key when counting. The left hand thumb button is a drone on mine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odonovanchris said:

I wasn't sure if people include the air button as a key when counting. The left hand thumb button is a drone on mine.

That's complicated, Wheatstone's and Lachenal's didn't count it, but Jeffries was a maverick and did...

The L/H thumb key on a 30-key Jeffries is always a drone, but on a 39-key, or a 4-row, it's usually F/C for chording.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:50 PM, odonovanchris said:

The veneers around the edge have some chips that I'm hoping can be repaired.

Chris

From the pictures you've shown of the ends, the veneers are worn through to the base wood in some places.  It's not too horrifying a job to replace them with thin ebony veneer.

The bellows look to have had some of the internal hinges replaced - fairly crudely, but possibly effectively - and some of the others look to be cracked or torn.  Not a difficult job to strip them off and glue something more competent in their place.

The corners of the bellows can be repaired if they're the source of leaks, but you may find some of the gussets have holes in them as well.

As Stephen has said, it's a fairly standard configuration of 44 (or 45 or 46!) button anglo that you have.  I have a GD version and have seen others in CG and other keys

Alex West

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex West said:

Chris

From the pictures you've shown of the ends, the veneers are worn through to the base wood in some places.  It's not too horrifying a job to replace them with thin ebony veneer.

The bellows look to have had some of the internal hinges replaced - fairly crudely, but possibly effectively - and some of the others look to be cracked or torn.  Not a difficult job to strip them off and glue something more competent in their place.

The corners of the bellows can be repaired if they're the source of leaks, but you may find some of the gussets have holes in them as well.

As Stephen has said, it's a fairly standard configuration of 44 (or 45 or 46!) button anglo that you have.  I have a GD version and have seen others in CG and other keys

Alex West

Thanks Alex. The veneers are also chipped in places. the photos don't show that. I will indeed look to get them replaced. The bellows have definitely been tinkered with and there's one leather patch deep in one of the outside folds that is leaking again. I will get this professionally looked at and repaired.