Need To Clear The Airway

I have a Lachenal New Model Extended Treble EC. Other than for calling bats I seldom use the highest reeds. I do, however, play regularly in public and, try as I might, never seem to end a song with the bellows in the closed position.

Invariably while struggling to get the EC back in its box it emits a series of loud complaints as I try to bleed out the air by pressing multiple buttons - much to the merriment of the audience. In the past I have relied on an air button to circumvent such situations and am thinking about removing a high reed on the right side to gain an air button.

Does anyone have any experience in this procedure? I would appreciate advice about which reed, how to remove it, whether any additional adjustment need to be made, how to store the removed reed for safekeeping, etc.

Does anyone have any experience in this procedure?  I would appreciate advice about which reed, how to remove it, whether any additional adjustment need to be made, how to store the removed reed for safekeeping, etc.

It isn't a big deal to do this. Just unscrew the 6 end bolts from the end you want to remove the reed and lift the end away from the bellows.

By keeping the end aligned with the reed pan and pressing the button for the note you are happy to remove, you can see which is the relevant reed. It will probably be the smallest reed that you see.

Mark the top of the reed pan and the bellows to make sure that the reed pan is replaced in the same position as it started off and then pull out the reed pan, keeping track of the location of the reed. The reeds are dovetailed in and will slide out of the pan with a little encouragement. You want to remove the one you identified (the one that sounds on a pull) and the coinciding reed on the opposite side (the push).

Replace the reed pan and the reed exactly as they were before removal and refir the ends and tighten the bolts (again be aware of orientation)

That should do it. Store the reeds where they won't be exposed to moisture.

No other adjustments should be needed

rather than mark the pan and the chamois gaskets, the pan will have serial numbers stamped on it, usually around the area of the smallest reeds, if you lift out the reed pan you will see the same stampings on the bellows woodwork, at the same position (orientation) as the reed pan stampings.

On re-assembly just ensure the pan stampings are lined up with the bellows stampings.

Oh, the reed to remove will be on the non-chambered side of the reed pan.

However there is a technique foe silent opening & closing without air button. Difficult to explain, dead easy to demonstrate. I will think of a way to put it over.

Dave

I would appreciate advice about which reed, how to remove it, whether any additional adjustment need to be made, how to store the removed reed for safekeeping, etc.

...you can see which is the relevant reed. It will probably be the smallest reed that you see.

You want to remove the one you identified (the one that sounds on a pull) and the coinciding reed on the opposite side (the push).

If you only want to be able to close the instrument quietly,then you only need to remove the push reed, which is the one on the "under" side of the reed pan. Then you'll still have the other reed in the (unlikely?) event that at some point you want to play that note (on the pull, of course). I have a New Model where that was done by a previous owner (and the removed reed, which I wish I had, did not remain with the instrument :().

If you do that, though, you'll likely find that those high reeds don't have valves, which means that with the one reed of the pair removed, you'll be leaking air when you play the remaining reed. On my instrument, I solved the problem by installing a (very small) valve, which closes the "air" hole when I use that reed.

Store the reeds where they won't be exposed to moisture.

Also in a way that it/they won't otherwise be easily damaged, e.g., in a jeweler's box. And in a place where you won't lose or forget it/them.

I was going to suggest that if you want to be classy, you might have a true air valve professionally installed, since my own New Model has openings in the fretwork on both sides for sliding-lever air valves. But oops!, there's no corresponding opening in the reed pan. One could be made, but to do it right would probably not be cheap.

As an anglo-ite, my english HAD to have a bellows-closing lever. As one of those who finds the need (often boredom?) to switch box in the middle of a tune, I find it indispensible.

Edited by geoffwright

As mentioned, removing the push reed from the highest note you are least likely to use and install a vavle in it's place so that the push note could be used. If you'd like a faster acting airvalve, remove both reeds.

The main problem is where to put them afterwards. We've repaired many boxes over the years where such a modification has been done with no missing reeds exant. One GOOD way to safequard these reeds is to install them somewhere else INSIDE the concertina. Securing them into the reedpan is a good way, and there are many places to put them - typically inside one of the upper (closed-off) chambers which you can friction fit a partial-plug over. You can also use a couple of very small screws to secure the reed(s).

I removed two reed last night. While I have been inside many times to trim valve pads that were overlapping I hadn't noticed the reed plates were dovetailed mounted. Removing them was a breeze and the results just as I had hoped.

I have wrapped the two reeds separately, then bagged together and put with the heirloom jewelry in the safety deposit. It would be a much better idea to find a good place to store them within the instrument so that they do not become permanently separated at some future date.

Does anyone have the perfect storage location for extra reeds within the concertina?

Hats off to Richard on the suggestion on what to do with the reeds removed to provide an air button. I found that when paired with the right sized closed off upper section of a reed pan air chamber the reeds fit perfectly.

No need to package or attach the reeds - they fit snugly with the reed blocks wedged in the pointed end and the chamois air chamber seal over the reed block screw heads keep the reeds assemblies from moving - no rattling (or falling out when exposed).

Also if I am hit by a truck the next owner (or service provider) will immediately see the reeds when they examine the chamber from which they were removed.

The perfect solution!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to ressurect this topic again, but I wondered if somebody could offer me some advice ?

I have a 46 key Wheatstone Maccann Duet, which I bought about 3 months ago, and am still mastering it. It has metal ends and metal buttons. (1906),and no air button.

Im used to playing Anglo, so find not having an air button quite annoying at times, especially when you have to expel the air through the notes before you can put it away in its box.

This previous thread has been very useful, and I was wondering if there was any

mileage in removing the reed on the bottom right accidental, to make an air button?

Would this be an easy thing to do ?

Would it work ok ?

Would it be better to look at getting somebody to put me an air button in ? - although there doesnt seem much space where to put it.

Am I likely to use this Accidental very often once I become competent to play it properly ?

I would be grateful for any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks.

David.