Lachenal treble English concertina for sale

Alan Whitehouse

£

This is a Lachenal treble English concertina with wooden ends and metal buttons – 48-key. It has six-fold bellows with decorative papers. The ends have some sort of decorative inlay which I think is metal but cannot be certain. It has the Lachenal makers’ label but I have not been able to find a serial number on it.

The instrument is very clean and tidy. It was completely restored about 40 years ago by a professional restorer based in Dorset – I cannot remember his name. He stopped doing restoration work many years ago, and the details are long lost. But in addition to new bellows it was repadded, resprung and had new valves. It was retuned and is in modern concert pitch. The reeds are steel. 

Since being restored it has been only lightly used, mostly playing at pub sessions, and has been well cared for. I like it but feel it is time to pass it on as I am playing far less than I used to. It plays well.

I bought it as a wreck with no case. So it comes with a purpose-made wooden box lined with felt.

I had a local restorer cast his eye over it before offering it for sale. He rectified two or three sticky reeds and retuned a couple of others. So it is offered in good working order.  The attached pictures will hopefully give a better impression of its condition than any number of words. Please feel free to message for any additional information. I had little idea about its value but have been told it ought to be worth around £1100. So I’ll make that the starting point and we can see if there is any interest. My location is South Yorkshire.

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, Alan Whitehouse said:

..... It was completely restored about 40 years ago by a professional restorer based in Dorset – I cannot remember his name. He stopped doing restoration work many years ago, and the details are long lost. ....

It might have been Ivor Hyde back then ?

• 3 months later...