Looking For Some Somber Music

Nezu

To learn how to play. Preferably something more simple, as I'm still just a lowly newbie. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm on a 30 button english.

• 2 weeks later...

Rosline Castle is an easy somber song. There's a G# accidental thrown in there at one point, but it's not bad at all. I learned this one by ear, so I don't know where you can find sheet music. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a recording of it. In the recording, they're playing chords along with the melody, but I just play the melody.

Some of my favorites are the slow airs of Tom Anderson (20th c. Shetland fiddler), notably, "Da Slockit Light" and "Da Auld Restin' Chair."

Another good one (not from Anderson) is "Coleman's March."

And if you haven't had a crack at Jay Ungar's "Ashokan Farewell" yet, well, get cracking.

All of the tunes I've mentioned here are in major keys, but have an air of melancholy and introspection about them. And they are all played slowly.

Some of my favorites are the slow airs of Tom Anderson (20th c. Shetland fiddler), notably, "Da Slockit Light" and "Da Auld Restin' Chair."

Another good one (not from Anderson) is "Coleman's March."

And if you haven't had a crack at Jay Ungar's "Ashokan Farewell" yet, well, get cracking.

Definately Slokit Light ... and Dark Island.

Also quite a bit of O'Carolan - Planxty Irwin is good played slow

Chris J

• 4 weeks later...

Two very nice ones, An Paistan Fionn and Capitan O'Kane's.

Edit to add Star of the County Down which can be found right here on the Tune-O-Tron along with a version of An Paistan Fionn.

Edited by Mark Evans