Suddenly Out Of Tune

I am a newish player, about 8 months, with a Stagi EC. Very little experience playing music prior. I'm already saving for something a bit more up scale, but until then I want to keep playing.

I went through a play it proud, play it loud phase recently and suddenly my lower A on the right hand side is out of tune on the pull stroke. Off by a lot (- 20 Hz) and more difficult to get the same volume per force on the bellows.

I'm not afraid to open it up and do things. Steel accordion style reeds.

Questions:

1. Is there a manual or book on concertina maintenance and repair?

2. Any guesses on what happened?

3. Any suggested repairs?

4. Should I give it up and get a piano accordion?

Hi Ray

A note going seriously flat is the classic sign of a reed that is cracked and about to break. If its a Stagi any good accordion repairer should be able to replace it for you.

Theo

...Off by a lot (- 20 Hz) and more difficult to get the same volume per force on the bellows.

I don't dismiss the cracking theory and certainly I'm no expert on such things, but I've found that sometimes a partly fouled reed can act this way too, especially when the off-tone condition is combined with requiring more force to play.

That may not be the problem with yours, but assuming you can get to it, I suggest you examine the reed closely for any sign of foreign material, especially near the end that is fixed (attached) to the reed block. It doesn't take much, a hair, a bit of lint, whatever.

And yes, there is a concertina repair manual, "The Concertina Maintenance Manual" by Dave Elliott. I've got an original edition but there's an updated one available and info on it is here. I doubt even the updated version deals specifically with Stagi's, but it will still provide a lot of general insight on reed issues as well as other common problems.

Good luck,

Bruce

Questions:

2. Any guesses on what happened?

I would agree with Theo's diagnosis as the most likely cause, especially as you mention that you have been playing loudly. If so, it will only get worse, and cannot be retuned.

It should be easy enough to confirm, simply identify the reed in question, and give it a good, hard "twang" using a piece of feeler gauge (preferably) or a knife blade. If the problem is a foreign body, this should free it, but if the reed is cracked, it should snap off at the crack (it was useless anyway !). :huh:

3. Any suggested repairs?

Replace the reed.

Don't go over to the "dark side" ! :o

Anyway, it happens in accordions just the same ! :P

Don't go over to the "dark side" ! :o

I was told the "dark side" was the chemnitzer B)

(And now the quote won't quote properly....definitely dark powers at work here. :ph34r:

Edited by malcolm clapp