Round Concertina On Ebay

Donald Galloway

Yes, the instrument (listed here on eBay) is for real, and has already been the subject of some discussion on this forum.

In the meantime I have been looking for that previous discussion on C.net, and found it here, also Richard Morse's announcement that it was for sale is here.

However, the serial number, now quoted in the auction description, is too high as Lachenal's only reached the 60000 series in English concertinas before they closed down, but the leading digit 8 may be a misreading for a 3, making it a much more likely #32689.

I notice that the seller, who has sold a couple more of her grandfather's concertinas recently, seems to have started a new eBay id, having got 25 negative feedbacks lately due to illness.

Yes, the instrument (listed here on eBay) is for real, and has already been the subject of some discussion on this forum.

In the meantime I have been looking for that previous discussion on C.net, and found it here, also Richard Morse's announcement that it was for sale is here.

However, the serial number, now quoted in the auction description, is too high as Lachenal's only reached the 60000 series in English concertinas before they closed down, but the leading digit 8 may be a misreading for a 3, making it a much more likely #32689.

I notice that the seller, who has sold a couple more of her grandfather's concertinas recently, seems to have started a new eBay id, having got 25 negative feedbacks lately due to illness.

Do any of the scam experts have an opinion on the round concertina that is less than 24 hours from Tulsa?

It is for real. The seller is known to me.

The instrument is a baritone-treble.

The lowest note is F just below the bass clef, i.e., an octave and a step below the low G of a standard treble.

It appears to be in concert pitch (compared over the phone with my own concertina).

I only wish I could afford a decent bid on it. :(

I recently purchased a 71 key Crabb Crane Duet from this purchaser and the transaction took place with no difficulty.The concertina I purchased,which had very fine engaved nickel silver ends. was as described and was delievered promptly and was securely packaged.Geoff Crabb tells me it was made in December 1924.The Crane Duet had been properly stored and just required a good clean.I having a new case made for it and it will be re-padded and I will then get to work on practising.I last played a Crane Duet about 25 years ago and did not have the patience to carry on with it as all I wanted to do at that stage was to play dance tunes too quickly.

I bought the Wheatstone bass.........she couldn't have been more accomodating.

She also said to me how much she had enjoyed the experience of dealing with the concertina community......that we are a very helpful and friendly bunch; also that she had made some friends from the contacts.

Pat on the back for all , I think.

Robin

PS I had the pleasure of putting one of the C.net members up for a night ,on Monday,as he and his wife passed through from Buffalo to Detroit via Ontario...........another friend made. I love it.