Finally Available: Midi English And Anglo Model

No, I can't get anything useful. What I can remember is this:- a very pretty picture of an amboyna ended English (a picture of the anglo version will be along later). It contains a rechargeable battery and a wireless transmitter to communicate with the base station, which actually carries the MIDI out. On the left the concertina has 2 microswitches that control the octave it plays in: -2, -1, 0 (normal treble) or +1. There's some microswitches on the right, but I can't remember what they do, apart from the on switch.

It comes with 5 keyboard layouts:- English, Wheatstone anglo, Jeffries anglo, Irish anglo (whatever that is) and programmable. The latter allows the user to devise their own layout.

Concertina by Concertina Connection, electronics by a Dutch outfit called Tethys. Cost 2400 euros for the English, 2200 for the anglo (+ VAT at 19% in Europe) + delivery.

You can see the impact this has had on me by how much I can remember off the top of my head. I've wanted a MIDI tina for years!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

That sounds great by I can't seem to access your site. Clicking on your link brings me to the site located at

http://www.vuurwerk.nl/index.php?sitemap

Even when I type in www.concertinaconnection.com I get the same wrong site!

Very curious. I read Rich's post, typed in www.concertinaconnection.com, and got Wim's site. I tried the vuurwerk ("fireworks") URL and got the Versatel page that has that URL. Then I tried www.concertinaconnection.com again, and got the Vuurwerk page... and now ever since.

But I had saved the URL for direct access to the "Jackie" page, so I tried that. No go. I got a "Not Found" error page, with the additional text:

The requested URL /jackie model english.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Hmm.

I tried looking up the IP address of concertinaconnection.com, but got 255.255.255.255, i.e., not found. (I got correct, usable IP addresses for concertina.net and concertina.org) But Vuurwerk (now owned by Versatel?) is a Dutch internet service provider. It seems inconsistent to me that my domain name server seems able to direct my browser to a Dutch provider, while reporting directly that the domain simply doesn't exist.

I have now sent an email to customerservice@versatel.nl, describing the problem and asking them to investigate it and fix it.

Interestingly enough, I have also sent Wim an email about the problem, and it hasn't (yet?) bounced, though the address is in the same domain. :unsure:

From an email from Wim to me , which I have just received:-

Sorry for the late reply, we are having email and website problems....I

guess these things always have to happen during the weekends, when you can't

reach the provider.

Si I guess it's a case of just be patient.

Chris

Finally, after almost a full year of problem solving and fine tuning, we're ready to start production of our wireless MIDI concertinas (both anglo and english).

I managed to get a look before the server went bad. Without trying to be melodramatic, I feel that this is a historical feat: merging the looks and workmanship from the 1920s with the present day's digital synthesizer technology. Well done! I would love to try one!

Henrik

Interestingly enough, I have also sent Wim an email about the problem, and it hasn't (yet?) bounced, though the address is in the same domain. :unsure:

As I suspected, I spoke too soon. The email to Wim has now bounced, though the details in the message accompanying its return imply some very curious things about the way the CC domain is being handled.

One detail may be critical, though: "safecat: fatal: can't fsync/close output file: disk quota exceeded".

Seems to me, though, that there's something wrong with a provider of a 24-7 service (in this case, internet access) that doesn't provide 24-7 support.

Then there's the thought, what about a 40 button Anglo layout.

Good to see the page is back. I've got my order in, for an anglo. It's going to take a few months to arrive, as you'd expect, but when it does I will review it.

Robin, if you want something out of the ordinary have a look at Roy's efforts here. All you have to do is supply the 40-button anglo and Roy will do the rest. I think it could be a splendid way of re-using a basket case.

Chris

I just updated the MIDI page on our site. I added a section on MIDI updates. Photos of the anglo will follows. I have almost finished a Macassar-ebony ended amc-30, which I intend to add in a week or so.

The MIDI page will ‘grow’ over the next few weeks. We’re still fine tuning minor details.

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection v.o.f.