Advice Please For A Beginner Re Buying An English

Hi

I am very new to this site and to concertinas. A few weeks ago I purchased a Jackie and am delighted with it. I have also purchsed Pauline de Snoo's Concertina Course Vol 1 and the Play Along Concertina Book, together with the 2 CDs that accompany the books. They are really excellent and I would recommend them to any beginner. I am completely hooked!!!

I would quite like to upgrade the Jackie now for a 48 key English, rather than wait a year or so. I can hopefully afford a better concertina now, whereas in a year or two I may not have the money. :( :(

I would be really grateful for any advice. I can spend about £1000 (1500 euro) - what would I expect to get for that amount of money. Is it preferable to buy new, or a secondhand model that has been renovated or restored. I don't think buying off ebay appears a good idea, judging by the number of scams!!!!

I am in Northamptonshire, UK.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Edited by ~Sarah~

You could do a lot worse than visiting Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. He's based in Stoke on Trent. When i visited he took a deal of time to sort boxes from his vast stock that met my verbal requirements and then left me alone to play them all until I reached my decision. Lovely bloke, big stock, good prices.

You could do a lot worse than visiting Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. He's based in Stoke on Trent. When i visited he took a deal of time to sort boxes from his vast stock that met my verbal requirements and then left me alone to play them all until I reached my decision. Lovely bloke, big stock, good prices.

At the moment, I have a couple of 48-button concertinas listed in the Buy & Sell section here. :)

But I second Lester's recommendation that you visit Chris Algar. He's the best I know of at matching instruments to people. And if he doesn't have the instrument that's right for you, he'll tell you so, rather than try to sell you something that's not right.

Hi Sarah,

I'll second and third the rcommendations to contact Chris Algar. The more choices you have the better chance of a good fit.

I'll also recommend Malcolm Clapp. He presently has a New Model Lachenal for sale. The New Models can be quite nice.

I'm with you on your thinking of getting the best instrument you can afford once you've fallen in love with the concertina. The joy of playing a good instrument will reward you many times over for your initial investment.

And yes, strike while the money is in the bank account. Before all those "practical" things like a newer car, refrigerator, or new roof get in the way!

(Well, maybe the roof is a good long term, necessary purchase) The point is, as someone on cnet previously noted, that a good concertina will last 100 years! And a good car....?

Best of luck and congratulations on your commitment!

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

My only experience is with buying a 1927 Wheatstone from Chris Algar. He certainly made the selection process a breeze. I gave him a rough idea of price and he selected about 15 instruments that fit the bill, then left me playing as long as I liked to choose one. Being a complete beginner I managed to grab an experienced player to go with me to give me pointers and try things out with the concertinas that I hadn't the experience for yet, like playing fast. I spent 1000 pounds for it and I've been delighted ever since. I've had many complements on the sound and quality of the instrument, not necessarily on the playing :P My only problem was that my expert helper wanted to buy the concertina I had chosen for himself <_< I'm glad he didn't

Many thanks for all the replies - it is great to receive advice so quickly. The internet certainly has its uses!

I have now spoken to Chris Algar and he seemed really helpful. I hope to visit him during the next few days and, fingers crossed, will come home with one. :) :)

Don't expect a lot of room in his garden shed. It's piled floor to ceiling with concertinas, just about enough room for a couple of chairs. When I was there last July, his son had learned Ashokan Farewell on the fiddle so I ended up playing with him for a while. Not bad for a 9 year old at all!