Anglo Concertina (C/G), 51 metal buttons, metal ends. Possibly a Jeffries duet conversion..

Johnny

Quality Anglo Concertina (C/G), 51 metal buttons, metal ends and modern hard case.

I acquired this to have it serviced and get it back to top flight condition, but alas I have too many projects on the go and also need to thin my collection. No makers name badge showing that I can see. A concertina player I know opened it for me and said it has steel reeds, riveted action, 7 fold (airtight) bellows, 160mm across ends. Needs a service (valves/bush service and small repair to veneer etc). I asked him to take a photo of the insides while he had the ends off – see attached. This instrument needs a bit of work but should be a real beauty when finished.

I am happy to send more photos if you PM me, I could only upload one.  I am asking £2,500 GBP and I am happy to make a donation to this site if successful.

General Photo - Copy copy.jpg

Edited by Johnny

Was this the Anglo in the Gardiner Houlgate auction on 26th June 2020? It looks the same.

There was an initial suggestion that the concertina in that auction might have been made by Robert Carr but the auction house subsequently changed the description.

Any pictures of the inside?

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Smith said:

Was this the Anglo in the Gardiner Houlgate auction on 26th June 2020? It looks the same.

There was an initial suggestion that the concertina in that auction might have been made by Robert Carr but the auction house subsequently changed the description.

Any pictures of the inside?

Regards

Peter

Peter, can you send me your email address and I will forward on more pictures.  Thanks, John

All is now clear.  There is such a wealth of concertina knowledge and experience on this site.  Thanks for all the emails and phone calls, the mystery is now solved.  This concertina is and was built as an anglo and most probably by Robert Carr.  I was encouraged to remove the reed pan and there it was, his signature.  All levers, posts and reed pans are  Jeffries and most of the reeds are Jeffries with a number a mixture of wheatstone/crabb and other.  The metal (aluminium) ends are likely to be Carr’s own work.  Looks like this was constructed by parts that Carr acquired ("lunchbox acquisitions?") from his working with Jeffries, Crabb and the others.  The end bolts are not original and are an addition by a more recent owner who did some work on them.

signature.jpg