Dating a Lachenal #14450 Anyone help

StephenTx

Stephen,

It is hard to date a Lachenal concertina without any description--only the serial number and not even knowing if it is English or Anglo.

I will assume that your No 14450 is an English concertina that I have seen--48 key, wood fretwork, stamped bone buttons, 4-fold bellows, sold by H. Solomon, London, and made in about 1868.

Still hoping that Dowright can help with his expertise. Third try lucky? I recently bought a large metal ended Lachenal

Edeophone Maccann duet system, with 9-fold bellows, 61 keys, but really 59 notes, as there is a duck quack and a whistle, so essential back

in the day for variety entertainers. 

The serial number is  6880. While it is being restored, I am wondering what date it might have

been made? 

best wishes, Robert

Robert,

Please look again. The serial number of 6880 seems to be incorrect, either because the lead digit is "4" or less or the number is only 688. I have one Maccann listing of 48718, but I believe the last 8 is a mis-stamp and should not be there at all. Otherwise, the highest Maccann number is 4924, and the highest for Cranes is 4960.

Many thanks for answering. Curious indeed: the number stamped on the metal scrollwork shows as 6880, and it appears again as 6880

inside the instrument. I wonder if this could be 688, in fact? I could not see a 4 anywhere.

I just sent it off to Greg Jowaisas for some repair and restoration, so I cannot take any close up pics. In the attached picture

you can just see the Number at the top of the scrollwork. Maybe some refined tech could sharpen it up...but I do not have the means to do this.

But thank you again for the information and advice...very helpful...and mystifying.  Robert

image.png.6b95e240d828f29d6c88401e3aa1facf.png