Possibly Coromandel or Zebrawood?

I've just finished restoring Lachenal English #6915, a 48 key, brass reeded instrument which Dowright has dated to 1860.  On a recent thread about glass buttons Stephen Chambers posted a link to an 1862 Lachenal catalogue which describes my model as: " Amboyna Coromandel Zebra (or any description of wood preferred), with Bellows and all pertaining to exterior finish tastefully matched, Silver Touches or Glass Studs, as preferred."     

I had assumed that the ends were of a highly figured Rosewood, but glass buttons aren't shown as an option for Rosewood treble instruments.   Now I'm wondering if the wood is Coromandel or Zebra?  I know there are some members here with experience and keen eyes for wood species:

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

I'd guess Brazilian rosewood too, but the two-tone effect is because the board includes both sapwood and heartwood. Generally sapwood is less desirable because it's softer and more prone to decay. The description you quoted sounds like an early version of marketing speak.

g2fjpVYcSgKf2u5UgZZW_SapHeartwood.jpg

Zebra wood or zebrano, is entirely different, rosewood would be my identification, with the wood cut across heart and sap wood. as stated above. I am working on a glass keyed  excelsior (ebony ended version) of your inimitable model its serial is #28264  

26 minutes ago, Stephen Chambers said:

It has a striking effect when seen in something large, like a Brazilian rosewood guitar back, though...

I've seen some nice ones where they rip the board in two and bookmatch the halves, so it looks approximately symmetrical. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with a concertina end board.

A-bookmatched-Honduran-Mahogany-guitar-b

Thanks all, I think you are all correct.  Brazilian Rosewood seems like the best match.  Getting back to the Lachenal catalogue description, I've seen a few amboyna instruments, but are there any vintage instruments in Zebra or Coromandel/Calamandel out there?

Edited by Bill N
typo

Here is a link to a coromandel chest that has that that sapwood heartwood combination in the same coloration.  I think the grain structure is more reminiscent of woods like zebra a dense wood with long large pores.  All of the Brazilian rosewood I’ve seen  has a finer structure than that end.  That said, I’m sure there is overlap in the range of appearance, I wouldn’t discount the coromandel reference though.  https://eronjohnsonantiques.com/products/c0894-dutch-jacobean-style-coromandel-wood-chest-on-stand

On 3/31/2020 at 5:57 AM, alex_holden said:

I've seen some nice ones where they rip the board in two and bookmatch the halves, so it looks approximately symmetrical. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with a concertina end board.

A-bookmatched-Honduran-Mahogany-guitar-b

There was a Wheatstone on eBay this last 12 months that was clearly book-matched on the ends, per what Alex is describing in his response. It was a 48 key treble that was quite early per the serial number. I believe it was auctioned here in the US, but I am not positive. It was rosewood though, with similar delineation between the light and dark sections of the wood.