Help, Please, With Keyboard Charts

Hi,

A couple of people have requested recently that I add keyboard layouts for the different types of concertinas to the FAQ. I've always had duet layouts in the FAQ, but for some reason never English or anglo layouts. I've just added layouts for 30 and 40 button Wheatstone/Lachenal C/G, also Wheatstone/Lachenal 30 button G/D, but because my Jeffries G/D has been mucked about with in the past, and I have never owned a Jeffries C/G I cannot prepare charts of these. Also, if anyone could offer me an image of a 48 button English layout I would be profoundly grateful (and you would get credited in the FAQ, of course).

So to summarise, I would like the following layouts (which I will then work up into images for the FAQ):-

- Jeffries 30 and 38 button C/G

- Jeffries 30 and 38 button G/D

- Also a keyboard layout for 48 button English.

Do people think it would be worth adding other layouts, e.g. Bb/F anglo, Chemnitzer?

TIA

Chris

So to summarise, I would like the following layouts (which I will then work up into images for the FAQ):-

- Jeffries 30 and 38 button C/G

- Jeffries 30 and 38 button G/D

- Also a keyboard layout for 48 button English.

Doesn't Jügen Suttner have both Jeffries and Wheatstone layouts on his web site?

Don Nichols has an English layout, and I suspect that others do, too.

Do people think it would be worth adding other layouts, e.g. Bb/F anglo, Chemnitzer?

Danger there of not knowing where to stop.

For Chemnistaers, bandonions, etc. there are variations, minor and major.

Better you should provide links to significant sites for them.

And if Bb/F, why not Ab/Eb, B/F#, etc,?

Even better, why not some of the more interesting customizations:

... the Jeffries rearrangement with both C#'s on one button, the same with D#'s

... 26- & 28-button layouts

... Jones 32-button

... 45- & 50-buttons Jeffries

... E/A/Bb

... Jones 1884 patent "improved" 42-button layout

... Dave Weinstein's special D/G layout.

... Etc.

Well, you get the idea.

I think a comparison of various layouts would make an interesting article, but I have reservations about providing too much under "frequently asked"... even if it is frequently asked. ) Too much information can make it difficult to discover what's it's important.

Yes, Jim, I know the issues. I've been maintaining this thing for 10 years now. I was asking for other people's opinions before making my own judgement.

In the case of the English I am hoping that someone might offer me the use of a ready-prepared diagram, as happened for the duets - I don't want to go ripping off someone else's picture without permission. Anglos are easier because I have a jpeg template (based on one of Colin Dipper's) that makes creating diagrams pretty easy. What I am hoping for here is for guidance on the accepted standard Jeffries layouts, given that I don't have one such myself.

I will check Suttner's web site, if he is showing the standard layout - I suspect as a maker he probably is.

Chris

Well, John Nixon sent in some nice figures of a standard treble English. He was anxious that I post them where folks could cite them in discussion (as always, it took me several months to do so). He would probably be tickled to have you use them; try asking him. Here they are at

http://www.concertina.net/images/jn_eng_left.jpg

and

http://www.concertina.net/images/jn_eng_right.jpg

I was asking for other people's opinions before making my own judgement.

So you got mine.

I hope I count as "other people", too. ;)

In the case of the English I am hoping that someone might offer me the use of a ready-prepared diagram, as happened for the duets - I don't want to go ripping off someone else's picture without permission.

What I meant by directing you to those already-on-the-web diagrams was that you could contact their "owners", who I suspect would be more than willing to let you copy them.

I will check Suttner's web site, if he is showing the standard layout - I suspect as a maker he probably is.

To the best of my knowledge, they are standard, though when it comes to Jeffries, of the dozen instruments I've seen, no two had layouts exactly matching either each other or an illustrated "standard". :unsure:

To the best of my knowledge, they are standard, though when it comes to Jeffries, of the dozen instruments I've seen, no two had layouts exactly matching either each other or an illustrated "standard". :unsure:

Indeed so. Which raises the question: what do Frank and Bob and Rich and the other makers mean when they refer to a Jeffries layout? Do they all mean the same thing? I'd still like to get somewhere close.

Chris

...when it comes to Jeffries, of the dozen instruments I've seen, no two had layouts exactly matching either each other or an illustrated "standard". :unsure:

Indeed so. Which raises the question: what do Frank and Bob and Rich and the other makers mean when they refer to a Jeffries layout? Do they all mean the same thing? I'd still like to get somewhere close.

While they should be asked, of course, I think it would be worth asking other folks who have examined many instruments, e.g., Stephen Chambers, Randy Merris, and Colin Dipper.

In the meantime, I've finally thought to look in a couple of old tutors I have. The early Salvation Army tutor (photocopy courtesy of a friend) illustrates a 26-button, which matches the "Jeffries" and Jones (see next) layouts in the buttons it has. The tutor by George Jones is interesting, though, illustrating a 40-button layout which is much like the Jeffries, but still has some differences (and 4 penned-in changes, as well). I'll try to get around to scanning a copy for you in the next few days, Chris. (Scanner is currently buried under other things as I try to fix serious problems with my computer. :() Bert Levy's The Anglo Concertina Demystified illustrates 30-button layouts for both "Jeffries" and "Lachenal/Bastari".

Hi all,

As well as the material above, I have also had several diagrams and offers of help via email, to which I haven't yet replied due to pressure of events in the "real world". I will get back to everyone in the next few days. In the meantime I believe I have all the material or offers that I need.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I knew I could rely on C.net :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

..The tutor by George Jones is interesting, though, illustrating a 40-button layout which is much like the Jeffries, but still has some differences (and 4 penned-in changes, as well).  I'll try to get around to scanning a copy for you in the next few days, Chris. ..

Would the 1946 version of the Jones tutor be useful?

Its here.

Would the 1946 version of the Jones tutor be useful?

Its here.

Probably. My copy seems undated, but the 1946 edition is probably a reprint, as Jones was long out of the concertina business, no?

(I would compare that with my copy, but I'm having various computer problems right now, and Acrobat is one of the things that's not working.)