What do you know about Edgley Héritage models concertinas?

Hello,

I trying to figure out about a new concertina. What opinion do you have about Edgley's concertinas (Héritage models)? How is the sound is when you are playing with...is it near the real "Irish sound"?  I mean, made with "traditional Irish reeds" or still made with accordion reeds ? To compare with a musician playing on an Eiru concertina, for example, what will be the sound if he's playing on one of Edgley's Héritage model? Same? Almost? What will be the difference? thank you!

You've been playing one of Frank's concertinas for a few years.  Do you like the way it plays?  A big part of the "Irish sound" relies on your ability to play smoothly and quickly.  When I owned an Edgley I thought the action and playability were excellent. Frank uses traditional concertina reeds and construction in his Heritage model, so it will sound a lot like some of the vintage concertinas that are played in Ireland, and quite different than his accordion reeded models.  Really, you just need to hear one to see if you like the tone.

Edited by Bill N

You're right Bill! I still  have a lot of pleasure to play on my Edgley. Since 2006, I never had to open it! NO PROBLEM AT ALL with it! Great! Now, my way of playing since that time has really perfected; I think I have reached a nice level now. I just din't know about his new "Héritage models", with traditional reeds, since yesterday! This is the reason why Concertina.Net web exists! Hope Mr .Edgley continues to build them. Trying to reach him. So, thank you! 

22 hours ago, Lyle Aubry said:

Hello,

I trying to figure out about a new concertina. What opinion do you have about Edgley's concertinas (Héritage models)? How is the sound is when you are playing with...is it near the real "Irish sound"?  I mean, made with "traditional Irish reeds" or still made with accordion reeds ? To compare with a musician playing on an Eiru concertina, for example, what will be the sound if he's playing on one of Edgley's Héritage model? Same? Almost? What will be the difference? thank you!

I played a prototype, years ago, and liked it.  Last month, Frank brought a more recent one to the  Northeast Squeeze In, and I had a short go on it.

I am not an Irish player, but I can say this: the one I played is an excellent instrument - fast, great action and very light.  The sound was clearly that of a traditional reeded instrument (there were Edgley hybrids among attendees, and the difference was very clear).  Frank played a set for the evening concert, and  I thought the sound was great.

I don't know if it's the right instrument for you, but from my vantage point, it is an excellent concertina well suited to fast Irish playing.

1 minute ago, Lyle Aubry said:

Hello Jim! I really appreciate your comment! It helps! I send an e-mail and a word on Messenger yesterday to Frank. I’m waiting for his  answer. Thank you! 

Be patient - Frank is busy with a number of hobbies and projects.  But he's a good guy to do business with.