1850's Lachenal & Co Concertina for sale.

Gary Sanders

I have a 1850's Lachenal & Co 40 button, steel reed concertina for sale, serial number 4635. This instrument is in very good shape and still plays well. A family member bought this unit during World War II in London while he was stationed there. The unit comes with a wooden carrying case. It  would make a great addition to any vintage musical instrument collection. Jan 21 2019 Sorry this item has been sold.

IMG_20190112_114454330.jpg

Edited by Gary Sanders
returned

Gary,

Please give us more of a chance to see what you are selling. Just seeing the bellows, along with the serial number and "40 bttons, steel reeds", does not tell me enough. Lachenal made Anglo concertinas [I presume yours is Anglo] with serial numbers in the  serial number range below 5000--(1) very early Louis Lachenal Anglos in the lower part of the range and (2) Lachenal & Co  New-Model Anglos in the 4000+ range near the very end  period of Lachenal manufacture. For example, No. 4679 is also a 40-key Anglo, and is a New Model. And No. 4674 is a 30-key New Model. (Why, in the late 1920s, Lachenal & Co went back to this early-number sequence is another story for another day.)

MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE.

Edited by Dowright
  • Thanks 1

If you provide me with your e-mail address I can send you more pictures. I have to admit I am not an expert on Concertinas, all I know is that the instrument was appraised and I was told it was made in the 1850's. The instrument belonged to my father in law and it has been stored since his death in 1980. All I can tell you is that it plays well and that I have more pictures if you want them sent to you.

Edited by Gary Sanders

• Gary Sanders changed the title to 1850's Lachenal & Co Concertina for sale...HAS BEEN SOLD

Gary kindly sent me some photos. It is a 39 key (plus air key) Maccann duet with wood ends, metal buttons, steel reeds, and 6 fold bellows. From his 4-digit number, I should have considered that it probably was a  duet, instead of my jumping on the idea of a very early or very late Anglo. My mistake!

I think it was made in 1929. (The bill of sale for No. 4683, a 64-key Edeophone Maccann duet, is dated 26 April 1929.)

Edited by Dowright

Well, I made the same mistake about thinking it was a 40 button anglo and bought it. I've been looking for 40 button anglo for some time. 

When Gary sent me photos, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the instrument and didn't look at the button configuration carefully enough. It now seems like fool any (except me!) could have seen it wasn't an anglo. 

It also needs quite a bit of work,  leaky bellows, buttons that don't depress, reeds that don't sound.  Gary offered to take it back if I wasn't happy with it, so now I'm trying to decide what to do: have it fixed up and sell it, or return it. I'll be taking it up to Button Box this weekend to see what they think, but I'd appreciate any suggestions members of cnet might have. 

I've attached one picture which doesn't show much, but the others are too large to post here