Who's Playing Where?

Hello all,

In my case I will be making a trip to the UK on business later this month, and am looking forward to hearing some live music. But where do I go?

(London; Canary Wharf; Feb. 19 - 25/26)

I remember that radio station WAMU, 88.5 FM in Washington DC, USA used to announce 'Who's Picking Where.' This announcement allowed bluegrass music enthusiasts to know where to find the good, the mediocre, and the amateur across the region. In this concertina world, other than major events, where would I turn to find this information? Maybe this is worthy of a section of its own?

Del

PS time constraints have kept me away from www.concertina.net for many months (since the new-and-improved format change), but as I look through the postings I am amazed again at the treasure I find here. Well done to all!

Del,

You don’t give a lot of information. Do you want to listen or join in? Is the concertina your deciding factor or do you want any good music? A good place to start is Martin Nail’s site http://web.ukonline.co.uk/martin.nail/Folkmus.htm

Enjoy your visit! and feel free to get back to me directly if you want.

Roger

Yes, good to hear from you again. If you find the time to come over this way and see the Sage of Heytesbury, then remember we live not far from the Dippers and would be glad to give you board and accommodation for the night.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks. See my separate note via e-mail.

Speaking of live music, where do you and Anne play on a regular basis?

Del

Del,

You don’t give a lot of information. Do you want to listen or join in? Is the concertina your deciding factor or do you want any good music? A good place to start is Martin Nail’s site http://web.ukonline.co.uk/martin.nail/Folkmus.htm

Enjoy your visit! and feel free to get back to me directly if you want.

Roger

Roger,

That link is very useful. Thank you. As for deciding on the concertina, or 'good music' generally, I will first try to find concertina; then any live folk tunes after that. Concertina playing is rarely heard around here.

As for contacting you directly, I could not locate an e-mail address. So, please drop me a line at delwb@earthlink.net.

Regards,

Del

Hi Del!

You were mentioned only the other day in a "where are they now?" thread!

Hope you are keeping well! Unfortunately I live two hours from "the Smoke" so I can't help you, but I'm sure someone will.

Dear BSG,

Two hours from 'the Smoke' may only be 30 Km, if the traffic is not flowing. :D I assume 'Shroppie' is a little more distant.

Cheers,

Del

I asked around at The George last night for sessions during your visit to the UK and the following session was recommended

Lunchtime session Sunday 20th Feb

The Horseshoe,Clerkenwell Close,Clerkenwell Green London EC1

Nearest tube station seems to be Farringdon.

I would think that it would start about Twelve thirty but that is only a guess.

Sorry I cannot be there.

Al

Dear BSG,

Two hours from 'the Smoke' may only be 30 Km, if the traffic is not flowing.  :D  I assume 'Shroppie' is a little more distant. 

Cheers,

Del

The Shroppie is a canal running from (roughly) Birmingham to the river Mersey near Liverpool, so you assume correctly! If you have free time let me know, I have a spare bed.

Derek

Del,

I have sent you a personal email, but I think if you click on a person's name (ie mine) you can email the person through the forum without having the exact address. Presumably you need to be logged in. I look forward to hearing back from you and possibly seeing you !

Roger