A Small Parable

Long ago in a country far from me, there lived a giant named Wheatstone. Though said to be a shy man, he produced a great many heirs who for a while seemed to cover the land. As the years went by, the sons and daughters of Wheatstone dwindled sharply, until most upright citizens were scarcely aware of their existence, if at all.

The children of Wheatstone seemed normal to outside appearances, although some said there was a certain hollowness in their downcast eyes. It was rumored that they sometimes gathered to perform their rites in secret ceremonies involving certain talismans, though the truth is, there was no need for secrecy – no one else cared. As they scurried past to their unknown destinations, one could often hear snippets from knowledgeable passersby, such as “…on Lawrence Welk”, and “… have a monkey?”

It was rumored that at the heart of their ceremonies was this mysterious talisman, which could be manipulated to produce a sound; it was further said that this sound could send them into paroxysm of ecstasy. It must be noted that this effect did not extend to others, and seemed to produce only an invariable rolling of the eyes in their mates, were they so fortunate as to have such.

The obtaining of one of these talismans is rumored to cost dearly, indeed, and for a very long time, only a few were created anew. It was natural, then, that great competition arose and the costs increased all the more. It often required even more time than money to obtain one. Surprisingly, however, more and more of this unfortunate group abandoned sensible pursuits and dedicated their lives to the crafting of new talismans. Their motivation must remain a puzzle, as the long time involved in the development of their craft and careful, loving assembly of new units could never be compensated by even the high price each brought. Some Children continued to favor the old talismans, others prized those made by the old makers, and others favored the new craftsman, but none could deny the positive effects of the new makers. And now, whenever the children of Wheatstone gather, comparison of and marveling over the various talismans features prominently, and the wise among them invariably raise their glasses and say, “HERE'S TO THE MAKERS”.

So did I. You'd have to be an oddball not to appreciate it.

Chris

Edited to add apology: I was shooting from the hip there, I apologise. This forum needs its oddballs as well as its staid stick-in-the-muds. It is a nice tale, neither full of sound and fury, nor signifying nothing.

Edited by Chris Timson

The obtaining of one of these talismans is rumored to cost dearly, indeed, and for a very long time, only a few were created anew.  It was natural, then, that great competition arose and the costs increased all the more.

Actually, before its revival the cult dwindled markedly, and consequently so did the demand for the talismans (talismen? talispersons?), a fact which is believed to have been instrumental in the decline of production.

Of the most revered of today's Children of Wheatstone, one has reported that during that quiet time his first -- and still primary -- Wheatstone talisman cost him all of five UK pounds. :huh: :o

• 3 months later...

I had a very enjoyable evening at Blanchard's Tavern with Obi's Boys. Such a nice group of patrons who were willing to come along for the ride as we negotiated music from many traditions.

After the first set I was approached by an older gentleman who asked me right off, "Do you know of Sir Charles Wheatstone?" An interesting conversation followed.

The gentleman had been a professor at Kings College in the Phyics Department. He told me that Sir Charles Wheatstone had been a former Chair of the Department and (in addition to the concertina) had been instrumental in the development of the technology used in the laying of the first intercontinental cable between the England and the United States.

He was very curious If people were still playing Wheatstones and had the technology moved on from this original instument. Oh damn, had only Stephen Chambers been there. I assured him Wheatstones are still played and that I had played them and that they are the benchmark of the concertina makers craft. He asked me to play a tune so that he could listen to it up close. I enjoyed watching those old but very bright eyes as I played the Quebecois and Concertina reels for him. We parted with a hand shake and I told him that he too is a "Child of Wheatstone". I was very moved...then got over it and went back to Bluegrass :P !

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, I am thinking that maybe we should have Stephen on speed dial and when these opportunities come up...

Course, I am not part of the twenty-first century and don't have speed dial, but you know what I mean. :lol:

The gentleman had been a professor at Kings College in the Phyics Department.  He told me that Sir Charles Wheatsone had been a former Chair of the Department and (in addition to the concertina) had been instrumental in the development of the technology used in the laying of the first intercontinental cable between the England and the United States. 

You may be interested in this letter I had from King's college a few years ago. I hope attaching the file works.

- John Wild

It did work John and is very cool. I hope to run into him the next time we play Blanchard (evidently he has become a regular as of late) and with your permission I'd like to share this letter with him.

Helen, I like that speed dial idea (although I suspect Stephen would not). Concertina Doctor, can I help you? :huh:

It did work John and is very cool.  I hope to run into him the next time we play Blanchard (evidently he has become a regular as of late) and with your permission I'd like to share this letter with him.

Permission granted - it is in the public domain. You may have noticed that there is no signature in the image. The bottom of the page was missed out when I scanned the letter. The text of the final paragraph was:-

We would be delighted to show you these and other items from Wheatstone's library; if you would be interested in visiting us to view them, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Katie Sambrook

Special Collections Librarian and HOST Project Manager

cc. Lorraine Mariner

I have never taken up the invitation to visit - something for my retirement perhaps.

- John Wild

My first acquaintance with the name Wheatstone, like that of some other members, most likely, was in the term “Wheatstone bridge”, more than 30 years before I became aware of concertinas. This page details that and many other products of CW’s inventive mind. It was David Barnert, I believe, who once posted about his invention of the pseudoscope.

Many of the books I have been reading lately have left me marvelling at the amazing talents and achievements of the amateur inventor/scientists of the 18th and 19th centuries. Their drive and abilities often seem to have been matched only by their eccentricities.

Edited by Stephen Mills