Anyone Going To Catskills Irish Week?

Hi Britt,

I'm planning to come down for the week and camp and it would be great to meet up again. Never been before and I haven't registered for the concertina workshops since they are Anglo and I'm an EC. Having said that I had a great workshop at the Comhaltas in Ottawa with Frank Edgely, translating his class on ornamentation to the EC was fun and not too difficult.

I have been told that although the workshops are the focus of the Arts Week that the fringe sessions that go on are alone worth the visit. Any comments?

Ken, I would love to stargaze. I only have a passing interest in astronomy but it would be great to get a guided tour :D

Yes, Robin, I've heard the same thing, but have never been before either. Helen and I are rooming at the Blackthorne. (The guy she's carpooling with is camping out.) I'm sure we'll meet up at some point. I'm taking an afternoon class in hammer dulcimer with Karen Ashbrook. But I will have my EC with me, too, of course. And I look forward to the nightly sessions which I understand go very late. With no morning classes to worry about, I can sleep in. Cya there!

Hi, Al Ladd here. I'm going to Catskills this year for first time, and have a couple logistic questions. I"m taking advnced concertina classes, and planning to camp (tent). I was thinking the Blackthorne best place, but I'll be without a car. So...is Blackthorne indeed the best place to camp, and would it be very helpful to have a bicycle with me to get around?Also, Ken, are you passing by Greenfield on your way out, or are you leaving from somewheere other than Central Mass? Thanks and see you all in a few days!I can be contacted via webmail form on www.alladd.com

Add me to the growing list of C-Netters going to Irish Arts Week. The following 10 people indicated they were attending although two of the EC persuasion make not be in the workshops: Ken Coles, Alan Caffrey, Greg Jowaisas, Helen Cusik, Britt, Bruce McCaskey, Bill McHale, Al Ladd, Robin Beech,and Mike Reid. There are undoubtedly others that I have missed, but with me that makes at least 11 of us. I will be in the Basic classes (Fr. Coen & Edel Fox). Is anyone else atending those classes? Alan Miller

Britt - I'm camping at the Blackthorne. Hope you're far enough away that my snoring doesn't keep you awake. :ph34r:

Al (endgrainguy) I'll have a car and can give people a ride around East Durham but I'm not planning on any classes yet - I've heard good things about the singing classes.

At our regular session in Montreal last night a couple from Calgary stopped in - one whistle, one anglo concertina. They are also going down to the Catskills so that would make one more.

Mike, I went to the North East Squeeze in last September and there were some great EC players giving classes. I'm planning to be there this year as well. For that get together we C.netters printed out a badge so we could identify each other. Maybe we could do that for the Catskills and borrow Paul's nice logo for the task?

Edited by lildogturpy

Robin, I plan to make it to the NE Squeeze-in at some year in the future, but between work and family it is difficult to plan now. This Catskills trip may only be 3 days long for me as a worse case. I guess I am spoiled by all the other workshops that they have around the Baltimore-Washington area except none are for EC.

Maybe if some of the members who are officers of this site who are going to the Catskills could bring along some tee shirts to sell I would buy one. Speaking of all the folks that keep this site going I would like to thank you for all the effort needed to keep this site a top notch and friendly place to visit. Mike

Al Ladd - Unfortunately (I miss all the music and Dance there!) I am no longer in Massachusetts. I'm coming from Pittsburgh, PA area.

Mike (fgreen) - The T shirts are not stored in a pile somewhere. They are produced on demand by Cafepress, as are the other C.net items. Ties up less of our capital that way, leaving it free to hire disk storage space instead.

See y'all.

I am taking a low level pa class and the Edel Fox basic concertina class.

I think I might see Cnetters in both. How great is that!?

Britt and I are at the Blackthorn. Are you guys who are camping at the same Blackthorn as we are? It would be great to get a ride with one of you as Britt is only doing afternoon classes.

I'm starting to get excited. Been overinvolved in work stuff for the past two weeks and didn't get a chance to start getting excited until now.

Whoo hoo. :lol:

Hello All,

I had intended to be present for this event, it looks to offer much and I have been looking forward to it for several months.

The bad news is that I won't be able to make it; a job has come up that will preclude my attendance. I wasn't going to comment in this forum but since Alan Miller recently mentioned I'd indicated intent to be present, I thought I'd best clarify my circumstances least someone think I got lost on the way.

And to those that have written expressing interest in meeting me at the Noel Hill Oregon class, I'm sorry to say I recently cancelled out of that too. While I won't be in either New York or Oregon this summer, I'm doing some consulting work in the Phoenix area and it's a definite change from my home in the Seattle area.

It's tough finding practice space here. I tried playing in the motel room but I don't get in until late and the walls are too thin. Lately I've been reduced to playing in my rental car in the motel parking lot with the engine idling and the Air Conditioning on (at 9:30 PM here it's still 95 degrees or more outside).

I hope someone takes photos and writes up the details of daily events at Irish Arts Week this year because I might have a chance to attend next year and I'd like to know more about what goes on.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

Yes, we fiinally heard from someone what had happened for you (work is good sometimes too). [everyone else: I will start a new thread for reports elsewhere; I am just back after a blissful week away from the computer...looks like Paul put out the fires in the meantime, good man!]

Bruce, you should try emailing Len Rheaume there in Phoenix. He was supposed to have surgery for the big C a month ago and I pray he is OK. If you connect tell him best from me. He knows the scene around there.