• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a concert, Ry Cooder was chatting to a fan who said:

"That's a great sounding guitar you have there, Ry."

He looked across the room at the guitar on its stand and said:

"Don't sound so good now!"

[been meaning to join in for ages, not sure this was the best choice]

Love that story!

If Earl Scruggs had played a Silver Bell or Vega banjo would bluegrass players now covet those banjos instead of flat head pre-war Gibsons?

I believe it was Paul Groff who told me that we might be only a couple of accomplished english concertina players receiving acclaim playing Irish Trad away from having the english gain greater acceptance into that genre.

Greg

To Patrick McMahon. Selective quoting, sunshine, does not win you any friends. Here is the quote in context.

In theory, before buying a concertina you would consider what you want it for and decide which type you need. For instance here are a few guidelines you may hear on the uses to which you might put the various types of concertina (as you will see, I take this with a pinch of salt myself):

• If you want to play in groups or ensembles of concertinas, go for an English concertina.
  • For English folk dance the push-pull pattern of the anglo scale gives a "lift" to the music.
  • For song accompaniment or for solo instrumentals duets are ideal.
  • For fast flowing melody lines the key layout of an English gives it an edge.
  • On the other hand if you play Irish music you shouldn't even think about buying anything other than a C/G anglo.
  • If you intend to play from music or to compose music for the instrument, choose an English or a duet.

Unfortunately life is never that simple. The English is widely used for song accompaniment. Alistair Anderson has shown how successful the English can be for dance music and band work. I, like quite a few other people use the anglo for song accompaniment. There are some superb players of Irish music on the English concertina (even occasionally in Ireland). A lot of people lay down the law about what sort of concertina you should play for what sort of music; I, however, believe that you should find the sort of concertina that you feel comfortable playing. You will work out how to play the music you want on it. Conversely if you don't feel happy with the instrument you will never put the time into learning it properly.

This all stems from the fact that the different systems of concertina are very different to play. I will make the following tentative observation: people who want to learn to play by ear often find the anglo easy to get started and very rewarding quite quickly (it still takes a lot of hard graft to get good! There's no royal road to that). Conversely people who read music and play instruments like the piano often find the anglo thoroughly irrational and are much happier with English or duet. At the end of the day all you can do is try the various systems as far as possible and see which suits you best. If you can, talk to other players about why they chose their instruments and listen to what they play.

End of quote. An apology would be appreciated.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

To Patrick McMahon. Selective quoting, sunshine, does not win you any friends. ......... An apology would be appreciated.

Chris

Certainly not. I pointed out that you contradicted yourself. And you certainly did.

And I quoted your exact words, unlike you when you wrote of me "stop telling people what sort of concertina to buy." When I did nothing of the sort. Whereas you did. "

• On the other hand if you play Irish music you shouldn't even think about buying anything other than a C/G anglo."

Your own words. What part of that is NOT telling people what sort of concertina to buy?

And you should apologise for calling me sunshine. Nothing to be proud of.

"(as you will see, I take this with a pinch of salt myself):"

"I, however, believe that you should find the sort of concertina that you feel comfortable playing. You will work out how to play the music you want on it. Conversely if you don't feel happy with the instrument you will never put the time into learning it properly."

I can be selective too. I have no more to say on this subject. You are in the wrong and if you have not the grace to say so then I cannot be bothered to waste my time with you.