Tassie Tiger

Hi All,

Here is my latest effort. It is for my son. It's my first 32 button 'tiger' with wooden ends, all made from Tasmanian timbers: Celery Top pine frames, Huon pine reed pan, King Billy action board and Cheese Wood buttons (a very hard material.) Banksia face plates The bellows are 7 fold kangaroo skin.

It weighs exactly 1.2kg and I am in the throes of giving it the final tune.

A very great thank you to Chris Ghent who made sone very constructive advice re reed making., having witnessed my former attempts with the 38 button metal ended instruments.

This time around I used Peter O'Connor's bellows papers and David Lees straps, but in future will revert to the Tasmanian coat of arms used on the former instruments as they are more in keeping with the theme..

The Banksia presented some difficulties, although very hard and dense, it splintered in all directions as Banksia does not have a normal grain, so had to be laminated with King Billy. There was constant difficulty with pitting, even when sanding, anyway the end product looks nice. Will look even better once I get the powder and traces of glue off after its final tune.

The thin strip (yellow) of Huon pine that can be seen was so finger height could be adjusted, to fit individual player preference, but I then thought it not such a great idea so glued it in place.

David

IMG_1981_zpsssnjuhkr.jpgIMG_1973_zpsmqxjx4td.jpgIMG_1983_zpsyrrnreob.jpg

Splendid! Only wish I had the skills to do this sort of stuff.

So, what are the beasties worked into the fretwork?

I can see (I think!) dingo, koala (or is it a wombat?), kookaburra or parrot, some sort of cetacean (dolphin, or

maybe it's just a leaf?) - any more?

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

What I find really interesting is that the end pieces look aesthetically pleasing whether one looks at the fretwork itself (which is how most concertinas are designed)or one looks at the cut out parts.

I've noticed some end pieces have the optical effect of drawing the eye toward the dark cutout spaces, and it takes a conscious effort to see the pattern the wood forms. You made both the cutout portion and the wood that remains interesting. Indeed, your cut outs are the principal feature of the instrument!

Edited by Mike Franch

Thylacine, Tassie devil, Tasmanian eagle, Tassie map, Tasmanian blue gum leaves, blue gum tree (formed by the outline of the two thylacines.

So, I didn't get a single one right! Why am I not surprised? I missed the map and the gum tree! Thank you.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

That's some lovely woodworking and wood-finishing you did there. My eye was drawn to the graceful shape -- the curve -- of the handrests; maybe there's some ergonomic adaptation in the rests that fits them to the hand? Be that as it may, lovely work!