Metal Button Cap

jggunn

Try contacting Wim Wakker from the Concertina Connection: www.concertinaconnection.com (Washington State) or John Adey at www.concertina-spares.com (Wales)

There are other people who may offer to help you on this forum

Those button caps on a Lachenal are (usually) Real Silver. I think they are a "light press fit" into the hollow Nickel silver shaft of the button. Though it is probably easier (and cheaper) to buy a button from " Concertina Spares" it is also possible to make a replacement cap.

Thanks, but what was under the cap is what appears to be a hard rubber tube on which the cap fitted. Actually it plays OK and I did not notice the absence of the cap for at least a couple of days. I will try Wim. The Button Box also thought the cap fitted on a piece of metal.

Sorry folks, I am dumb as an ox. The shaft of the button, as Geoff says, is metal and hollow and all that is missing is the cap. I mistook the tarnished shaft for rubber. So all I need is something to fit on the shaft.

I've repaired them in a couple of different ways: the first ones I turned a stainless steel plug and glued it into the hole with cyanoacrylate.

Later when some more fell off, I roughly cut out oversized disks of nickel-silver with a jeweller's saw, soft soldered them on, cleaned up the rough edges with a file, then spun them up in the lathe and finished them off with fine sandpaper and metal polish. A drill press would work if you don't have a lathe.

The replacement nickel-silver caps blend in perfectly with the originals while the stainless ones look slightly too bright, but you would only notice if you were looking very closely.