Dating Lachenal Anglos

As this is a very loud instrument, I was wondering if the manufacture of it was completed after the take over by Wheatstone.

That is possible, but hard to know if it does not have a Wheatstone label. I wonder if it has Wheatstone reeds, or is it simply that it has good quality Lachenal reeds (maybe Mr. Green's ?).

I've always assumed it was made in 1935.

The only evidence for the 1935 closure of Lachenal's is the Tommy Williams interview, but my own reseach, now published in PICA, suggests that it actually took place in 1933 (some Lachenal concertinas, presumably finished by Wheatstone's, appear in the ledgers that year) and that Lachenal's was incorporated with Wheatstone's in 1934.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on my 200,000+, 30-button anglo and this one does not seem to have been cheaply made. The ends are solid mahogany (not plywood). It has 7-fold bellows so maybe they had different qualities in the mahogany end models at that time. It does have plastic buttons. The inside is like new so I haven't been able to bring myself to peel back the chamois to look at the end-bolt plate.

I've been working on my 200,000+, 30-button anglo and this one does not seem to have been cheaply made.  The ends are solid mahogany (not plywood).  It has 7-fold bellows so maybe they had different qualities in the mahogany end models at that time.

I have only seen plywood ends on one instrument, so it may have been an experiment, though they would have been stronger than solid mahogany. Seven-fold bellows sound like a "special order", five-fold were normal on mahogany anglos.

It does have plastic buttons.

On which subject, I recently came across a reference saying that Casein "was made in rod, sheet and tube from 1927", so it would seem that an instrument with plastic buttons cannot be any earlier than that.

• 1 year later...

In terms of English, the numbers go a bit over 60,000 and duets are almost 10,000.....

And DH has Lachenal English 60325 !

Chris Algar reckoned that was the highest serial number he'd seen so far .... so has he got the final box to go out of the door?

Resurrecting an ancient thread ... I noticed that there's a lachenal on ebay with a serial number 60497

(item 7402715053). It looks to be of the same era as ours, synthetic buttons, same fretwork and solid colourd bellows and papers (this is blue, DHs is green)

Chris J