Wanted - Jack Baritone English Concertina

Bald Reynard

Does anyone have a used Jack Baritone English available for sale ? I would also consider a Jackie or an Elise Hayden Duet.

I have had a few problems trying to find a decent 'Beginners' Unisonoric - and ended up with a Scarlatti SCE-30, where the low 'C' and the upper 'G' kept constantly sticking (and even refused to pop out at all until I wiggled the thumb rest with some gusto). I know (now !), it IS a common problem with the Scarlatti. Anyway, it's gone back to Amazon and a refund SHOULD be forthcoming. So now I am looking for a reasonably priced English or Duet - and the Concertina Connection models SEEM the best bet.

Information on any such Concertinas available would be appreciated - as would comments on the quality of CC range (for someone in my position - I know that generally, "you do get what you pay for" !).

Thanks.

Edited by Bald Reynard

In terms of the quality of the Jack, I have one and would say it is excellent value for money. I bought mine as I was curious as to how useful the baritone range would really be in my music - and I didn't want to spend £2k+ on a good vintage instrument only to discover I would only sing two or three songs with it.

It is rather plastickey (sorry, I know this is not a proper word!) compared to a vintage instrument and the bellows don't have a leather appearance. However,

- it is light for its size

- the reeds are certainly as responsive as a brass reeded Lachenal baritone that I have had the chance to try (sometimes the lowest ones seem to need warming up, but once awoken play well)

- it has a good action (I think it is a riveted solution, same principle as the better Wheatstones). Whilst the keys aren't bushed, they aren't over clackety

- the reeds have a pleasant sound both singly and in chords. To my ear it is a sound quite distinct from vintage concertinas, but not at all unpleasant and quite 'warm' and 'mellow'

My own feeling is that a second hand Jack would be a good investment and unlikely to loose much value - I can't be the only person tempted into buying one in order to try out the baritone range.

I think the Cleckheaton Music Room website has a link to one of these being played (YouTube?) which might be helpful.

In terms of the wider Concertina Connection instrument production, I also have a Geordie tenor EC - which I rate very highly. Light, very responsive, really good build quality. Again, to my ear, the reeds' sound is distinct from vintage ECs with fewer dynamics than you would find on a really top range instrument. That said, it's truly reliable and I have taken it to some places I wouldn't risk a vintage instrument.

Edited by Myrtle's cook

In terms of the wider Concertina Connection instrument production, I also have a Geordie tenor EC - which I rate very highly.

Isn't the Geordie a Morse (Button Box) model, not a Wakker (Concertina Connection) one? The CC does also have other fine models, though.

As to acquiring a Jack/Jackie or an Elise, of course you can be so lucky to just get the system that will fit with your needs and (to be developed) skills, but as long as there's no offer to consider you could try both in a shop or at a festival...

OTOH, you seem to have a good offer (from Steve) regarding the system you had chosen, so why not give it a try? You wouldn't be risking too much...

Best wishes - Wolf

(edited to erase iPhone typo)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

[[[isn't the Geordie a Morse . . . not a Wakker . . .?]]]

Yes. I have one, with a TAM reed upgrade. It is not loud enough, and improvements need to be made in ECs generally so that they perform dance music with the lung power and volume of Anglos. This can be done, though it wouldn't be engineered in the same way as it is achieved on Anglos. But it hasn't been done, perhaps because ECs were originally often used for chamber/parlor playing. But otherwise, I like it a lot. In the area of tone "personality" separate from lung power, accordion reeds to my ear give a unisonoric EC some bark and "fatness" I am often not hearing in concertina-reeded ECs. Mind, I want a concertina for dance-based world folk music, not classical or "refined" stuff. And I am very much liking accordion reeds in the unisonoric config. Actually considering a TAM Morse baritone EC. May actually go with the 37-key Albion for a bari. With a TAM upgrade.

Edited by ceemonster

Jim Lucas wrote: 'Isn't the Geordie a Morse (Button Box) model'

Yes - absolutely - brain clearly far from engaged when posting.

Bald Raynard - it might be worth making a trip down to the music room in Cleckheaton to have a play through their stock to see what fits with your interests (they usually have instruments from the Jack/Jackie upwards). From memory I think least two of their staff are concertina players and more than happy to demonstrate models. Nothing like seeing and feeling the models in the flesh to inform decision making. if you can get over to Whitby for Folk Week, next week, there is usually a good offering of concertinas from the humble entry level upwards available from a range of dealers at the craft/music fair.

With regard to the comment about the lung power volume of ECs versus Anglos, I would agree with Blue Eyed Sailor - I've heard a couple of Edeophone and New Model ECs that have plenty of bark and bite. I have also played Wheatstone Model 6 EC which was amazingly loud and whose original bellows gave a great power. But , granted the EC and Anglo are very different instruments and I have yet to hear an EC that can imitate the likes of a good Jeffries.

With regard to the comment about the lung power volume of ECs versus Anglos, I would agree with Blue Eyed Sailor - I've heard a couple of Edeophone and New Model ECs that have plenty of bark and bite. I have also played Wheatstone Model 6 EC which was amazingly loud and whose original bellows gave a great power. But , granted the EC and Anglo are very different instruments and I have yet to hear an EC that can imitate the likes of a good Jeffries.

Aye, but most anglos aren't Jeffries.

(Also, there exist at least a couple of Jeffries Englishes, but I've never heard one played.)