Zoom H2N Vs. Blue Yeti Or What?

FWIW I am currently using a TASCAM DR-40 as my microphone for Zoom, with its analogue output connected to a USB audio interface. (It does have its own USB socket, but AFAIK that can only be used either to power it or for transferring files to/from the SD card storage, not for audio output.) I originally bought it for its normal purpose as a portable recording device and I have also used it connected to the hi-fi system for digitising LPs.

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2015 at 3:20 PM, Don Taylor said:

The Zoom H2N is 24-bit capable and has multiple microphone patterns.

I am getting tempted by the H2N unless someone tells me that the sound quality is poor. Functionally, it is very versatile.

First batch of information: forget about the 24bit recording options on all of the recorders with builtin microphones: you just get 8 more bits of noise.  The builtin microphones and preamps just don't have the 96dB dynamic range that 16bit can cover.

The H2n does not have a 24bit USB mode but at least, with newer firmware, a 4-channel soundcard mode.  You can use it with Jamulus (unlike the H2 which will deliver the microphone signal to the computer if and only if it is also allowed to directly deliver it to the headphone output, giving you either echos or no feeling for your own latency) but the in-device latencies will cause at least something like 30ms of delays on top of the ping time, assuming a good connection.  Good soundcards are more in the 10ms ballpark.

Concertina is not a quiet instrument so you don't need extra-quiet microphones and signal paths (or the handheld recorders would be out).  I get nice results for accordion ensemble by placing the recorder in the middle of the ensemble and using surround mode (48kHz/16) rather than placing it with the audience.  The H2 has about two analog gain settings of use, H and M (L is more sensitive than M but the additional bits at the bottom are noise).  I guess that the analog gain dial of the H2n is more discriminatory but haven't done recordings yet.

Closer vicinity to the players offsets the lower quality of the microphones compared to good microphones and recording equipment.  Symphonic orchestra or organ concertos will be better recorded with proper equipment, but the ability to place a surround recorder in the middle of a group rather than with a video camera gives you  quite better sound for smaller groups.

I've been pleased with the Roccat Torch USB mic I bought earlier in lockdown from Amazon. I've used it for live Zoom sessions, for stereo recordings using Audacity, and to stream a gathering of players in a Village Hall. Recent recordings include Here We Come A-Wassailing in my Virtual Greenshoots series of slow/faster recordings. On the down side, it's big and heavy.