Christmas Carols

Rod

I too read a good review and if I understand it correctly, a goodly proportion of Christmas music is firmly rooted in the tradition - which I sort of suspected given the number of 6/8 tunes.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/books/non_fiction/article1496555.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_12_20

Sounds like a good read. Lots of village carols still around, of course. The Sheffield carolling tradition must be the most famous. See localcarols.org.uk and villagecarols.org.uk . They sing local carols in Dunster. Half a dozen were collected from Jim Small in Somerset, though not much sung now. Our own Chris Timson and Anne Gregson lead a band which plays for carolling every year in Bradford-on Avon - they do Sheffield and Dunster stuff among others, singing in pubs, not churches. ;) http://www.concertina.info/wordpress2/ And I've just posted another local carol on ThOTM.

Santa never fails me and has just delivered my copy of the book. A delightful little publication. Beautifully printed and bound in the classic tradition. Well illustrated. Excellent typographic design. What more could I have wished for. Something to treasure. Now to get on and read it. ! Rod

• 2 weeks later...

A similar thought occurred to me when finally getting round to reading the introductory chapters of Stan Hugill's Shanties of the Seven Seas - large amounts of maritime work songs also date from the 19th century, it seems.

And only about 40 year of that century:

According to A.L. Lloyd: "By the eighteen-thirties (ship-owners) were finding that men heaved and hauled better if they sang at work."

He adds: "the practice of shanty-singing as we know it best emerged during the American-dominated packet-ship days of, roughly, 1830-1850, and it reached its peak in the British-dominated clipper-ship era of 1855-1870.

Regarding the introduction of steamers, he states: "By 1975, the clippers were scuffling for a living; their way of working was out of date; the creative days of the sea-shanty were over."

My wife Anne wrote a dissertation on Christmas carols as part of her final year music degree (she got a first class honours, thanks for asking) and you can find it here: http://www.concertina.info/carols/files/the_english_christmas_carol.pdf. The reason she chose this as a subject was the experience we have had in bringing village carols to pubs in Bradford in Avon. This all started a few years back when a group of us decided to see if we could bring something like the Sheffield tradition of pub carols to our town. There was me and Anne and another guy representing folk musos and three leaders of local community choirs. We chose some carols from the Sheffield tradition plus more carols from Wiltshire, Somerset and Gloucestershire that Anne researched. Anne and I organised a band from our muso contacts and the choir leaders taught the carols to their choirs and we arranged with a couple of pubs to come in sing on Sunday afternoons in December and waited to see what happened.

Well the result exceeded all expectations as the pubs got crowded beyond belief and the singing was loud, enthusiastic and exciting. As an aside religion is not an issue in this - it's all about the joy of the music itself. From there we haven't looked back. We've just had our fifth year and all the carol sings have been an absolute joy.

Sorry to go at length about this but it's important to me. If you're interested the web site I built to support it all is here, complete with recordings and video. Here on Soundcloud is one of the carols I recorded a couple a couple of years back, the Dunster Carol from Somerset. I think it catches the atmosphere rather well.

Chris

Thanks for that, Jody, it's a lovely carol and the sentiment is spot on.

If anyone wants to investigate further there is a good bibliography at the end of Anne's dissertation. I'd particularly recommend Glyn Court's Carols of the Westcountry.

For myself, I'm going to follow up the original recommendation of Christmas Carols - From Village Green to Church Choir by Andrew Gant that started the whole thread off. Completist that Anne is she'll be very interested in this. Thank you, Rod.

Chris

We have village carol singing in Worcestershire where I live, at the village shop that used to be on the green,(now closed) but has now moved to be a community shop nearby at the village hall. Singers then move to one of the local houses and then to one of the local pubs. Backbone of the singers is Community choir and Church choir members who keep the village residents on track! Carols are, unfortunately, mostly from the "traditional" type sung in church or schools, not what we would call folk carols which is a pity I think. It still goes down well. There's no instrumental accompaniment to this

We also had carol singers going around all the houses before Christmas in my home village in Herefordshire, It's a long time ago now, but was a regular feature then.

Edited by Ann-p