English System Bass

A simple question, but one I'm having trouble Googling (and searching CNet) the answer for. This is basically to fuel one final overhaul of the English concertina wikipedia page.

On English system bass concertinas that only sound in one direction ... which direction is it? Push, pull, or does it vary according to maker? I've even played a couple in shops in my time and I still can't remember!

Thanks

On English system bass concertinas that only sound in one direction ... which direction is it? Push, pull, or does it vary according to maker? I've even played a couple in shops in my time and I still can't remember!

Push

Yes, push.

I'm not sure whether there are other reasons for that choice, but the one-way valve flaps built into the bellows (I call them "gills") would be too easily damaged if they opened outward from the bellows, which is what would be necessary if the one-way sounding were on the pull.

By the way, single action Englishes weren't limited to the bass range. I've seen baritones and even tenors, generally instruments for concertina bands. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a single-action treble, though also not surprised if none exist. Steve, you might want to contact Chris Algar to ask if he can estimate how many of each he's seen.

Single-action duets are also a theoretical possibility, though I've never heard of any. (Single-action "anglos" would have to be plural... two instruments and two players. :ph34r: )

Edited by JimLucas

Push

Yes, push.

I'm not sure whether there are other reasons for that choice, but the one-way valve flaps built into the bellows (I call them "gills") would be too easily damaged if they opened outward from the bellows, which is what would be necessary if the one-way sounding were on the pull.

By the way, single action Englishes weren't limited to the bass range. I've seen baritones and even tenors, generally instruments for concertina bands. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a single-action treble, though also not surprised if none exist. Steve, you might want to contact Chris Algar to ask if he can estimate how many of each he's seen.

Single-action duets are also a theoretical possibility, though I've never heard of any. (Single-action "anglos" would have to be plural... two instruments and two players. :ph34r: )

Ay-Up Jim,

I have a single acting 'G' Bass and a single acting Baritone in my band playing array, but to make life a touch more more interesting: I have for repair & restoration, a single acting treble extended down to 'C' Bass. quite a big instrument. I could also be played as a 'C' bass extended up to full treble, 72 keys of single acting English system concertina.not playable yet, but will be soon