After an hour of trying to prevail over the tune I ended up with this take:

Chanter's Tune.

What do you guys make out of it?

Best- Wolf

Hi Wolf.

After enjoying your playing throughout last weekend, I have to say that the above isn't yet "Best Wolf". ;)

One definite suggestion is that you should try playing it more slowly... not just because the changes will become more comfortable (though I expect they will), but because I believe it's a march, and your tempo is far too brisk for proper marching. And as a march, it's also especially important to keep the tempo steady... but I'm sure you already know that.

The slower marching tempo is how I first learned the tune, from the playing of Seamus Ennis, a master of the chanter. (He also played it in G, a fourth lower than your recording, but I don't think that's important. I enjoy playing it in various keys on my several whistles, including on my low-G, which would put it in your key. :))

Edited by JimLucas

Thank you very much for the attention and advice (and kind words too) Jim! I was sort of freewheeling with this one, and your suggestion puts it in a context that will let me take a definitely new approach...

Best - Wolf

Jim is exactly right! You're a good player Wolf, but in this instance the tune is running at a pace you can't cope with. If you want to play it at that tempo then you've got to learn to play it s-l-o-w-l-y then gradually pick up the pace. ;)

Thanks Pete - albeit I loved the idea of playing the tune that rapidly I might stick with the march version. However, I will give it a try at around 120 bpm (Napoleon!) and see where that will lead me to. Besides, the beginning of the B section might have been in this pace anyway.

Best wishes - Wolf

Very nice Wolf. I like the droning bass very much for that tune. I play it quite a bit slower (on Hammered Dulcimer). That gives more time for what I hear as heavy downbeat accents in the tune. But no matter. Your version is very nice and that is the important thing.

Chuck

Thank you so much Chuck for the feedback (and Alex and Johanna for "liking" the sound)! I'm very glad this version stands the test of educated listening, and is found appealing moreover!

As to your playing the tune (which I'm learning to love evermore) on hammered dulcimer, I'd love to listen to a recording if there is any...

Best wishes - Wolf

Thank you so much Chuck for the feedback (and Alex and Johanna for "liking" the sound)! I'm very glad this version stands the test of educated listening, and is found appealing moreover!

As to your playing the tune (which I'm learning to love evermore) on hammered dulcimer, I'd love to listen to a recording if there is any...

Best wishes - Wolf

Maybe I can record one. Not much time with a concert to conduct tomorrow and some other things through the weekend, but I'll try to add it to the list!!

Best wishes - Wolf

Maybe I can record one. Not much time with a concert to conduct tomorrow and some other things through the weekend, but I'll try to add it to the list!!

I would really appreciate that, thank you for setting out for recording and providing, it's all about music, isn't it? and my best wishes for the concert!

As to my valued critics here I feel like reckoning their silence as more or less an approval, thus taking the opportunity to say a big "thank you" for helping me on the way with this one, I really appreciate that!

Best wishes - Wolf