Jim Jones - A Different Tune

Here's a turn up for me, posting a folk song.

A while back Geoff Lakeman posted a nice version of Jim Jones but I've always known it by a tune that's a bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3anj9zVLg

I've attempted to create a bit of tension by empolying a pulsating drone, a contradiction of terms I know but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's on the B, don't be confused, this video is a mirror image, something I'll avoid in future.

Here's a turn up for me, posting a folk song.

Great stuff!

A while back Geoff Lakeman posted a nice version of Jim Jones but I've always known it by a tune that's a bit different.

A version of an old Irish tune (aren't they all? ;)), used for a number of songs. I think the first time I heard it was the song Skibbereen.

I've attempted to create a bit of tension by employing a pulsating drone, a contradiction of terms I know but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I don't care what you call it; it works. And I'd say that's as good a term as any. I think I'll try to see if I can find other ways to use it. :)

It's on the B, don't be confused, this video is a mirror image, something I'll avoid in future.

Not sure how important that is. I'll have to reflect on it. B)

Steve, I agree - great stuff! Just love those convict songs... And I knew from reading about a "pulsating drone" that I would like your recording too. One more in a series of fine videos!

There's just one small point of criticism as to me (albeit this is a matter of personal taste anyway): I have more and more settled for a consistent tempo (aside from the technique of "rubato" which I still have to develop further on myself with certain tunes). Therefore I like your pausing with accompaniment at two points but I would suggest not to slow down that drastically near the end. As for me it's the less dramatizing the more storytelling you get. But again, that's just me...

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: Do you know "Van Diemen's Land" as well? Martyn Wyndham-Read has recorded it recently, and I have heard a very impressive live rendition from him last year...