The Stannington Village Carol

wayman

Well, motivated by Gary, I thought I'd try recording a few additional carols in the weeks before Christmas.

I could listen to Jon Boden's recording of Stannington (A Folk Song A Day, 21 Dec 2010) on endless repeat. It's one of my very favorite carols, and his arrangement for MacCann duet is, well, to my ears, just perfect. Short and sweet and rich and all those suspensions ... it makes me weak at the knees.

"Why not try it on the anglo?" I thought. Here's how Jon plays it on his MacCann, just about note-for-note, played on my 32-key Morse C/G Ceili.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dy50qu9UyQ

Perhaps I'll manage to get the words with the concertina by the 21st this year (three years to the day after I first heard it), for the Shutesbury village caroling! If so, I'll put up another video.

Well, motivated by Gary, I thought I'd try recording a few additional carols in the weeks before Christmas.

I could listen to Jon Boden's recording of Stannington (A Folk Song A Day, 21 Dec 2010) on endless repeat. It's one of my very favorite carols, and his arrangement for MacCann duet is, well, to my ears, just perfect. Short and sweet and rich and all those suspensions ... it makes me weak at the knees.

"Why not try it on the anglo?" I thought. Here's how Jon plays it on his MacCann, just about note-for-note, played on my 32-key Morse C/G Ceili.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dy50qu9UyQ

And a great demonstration that there's more to the anglo than just the simplistic "Irish style" vs. "English style" divide. :)

Thanks.

Thanks, all!

Gary, I've just added another carol (Remember, O Thou Man, also cribbed from the playing of Jon Boden), and it's almost entirely on the left hand as well. Even when I play the melody with the chords for this one, it's *still* almost entirely on the left hand. That seems really odd when I think about it, but it feels completely natural to me and it seems to sound good, so, to heck with convention B)