I'm thinking of getting an iPad for use with music - primary usage areas include:

- store of score PDFs

- store of ABC files

- playback of ABC

- playback of eg MP3s

- slowdown tracks for learning (I know of Amazing Slower Downer)

- multi-track recording

- tuning

- music pedagogic uses

Any suggestions or recommendations regarding apps that might meet any of the above?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by SteveS

I'm thinking of getting an iPad for use with music - primary usage areas include:

- store of score PDFs

- store of ABC files

- playback PDFs & ABC

- playback of eg MP3s

- slowdown tracks for learning (I know of Amazing Slower Downer)

- multi-track recording

- tuning

- music pedagogic uses

Steve

I store tunes as PDFs and use forScore to view, sort and annotate them.

I use iTunes as my basic music player and create lots of playlists for the various music projects I'm working on.

I use the Amazing Slow Downer for practice. The great thing about the iPad version: it imports tunes directly from iTunes. The two apps work very well together.

I used to use TUnebook for ABCs, but I don't bother with ABCs much anymore, since I can store so many PDFs on the iPad and they display so much better.

I have not used the iPad for recording except for quick and dirty recordings of rehearsals. SOund quality isn't very good; the mics are inadequate for serious recording.

I store tunes as PDFs and use forScore to view, sort and annotate them.

I use iTunes as my basic music player and create lots of playlists for the various music projects I'm working on.

I use the Amazing Slow Downer for practice. The great thing about the iPad version: it imports tunes directly from iTunes. The two apps work very well together.

I used to use TUnebook for ABCs, but I don't bother with ABCs much anymore, since I can store so many PDFs on the iPad and they display so much better.

I have not used the iPad for recording except for quick and dirty recordings of rehearsals. SOund quality isn't very good; the mics are inadequate for serious recording.

Thanks Jim - good ideas.

I'm thinking I'd use a good quality external mic - I guess the AD converters will be up to the job to give a decent recording for home use.

I'm excited about the possibility of using it for multi-tracking (albeit possibly limited) for some ideas I want to work on.

Thanks Jim - good ideas.

I'm thinking I'd use a good quality external mic - I guess the AD converters will be up to the job to give a decent recording for home use.

I'm excited about the possibility of using it for multi-tracking (albeit possibly limited) for some ideas I want to work on.

A few months ago I was trying to decide between continuing to use my iPad/iPhone for recording rehearsals and buying a good recorder.

What I read: unless you're willing to spend around $200 for a mic that inputs through the iPad multicontact connector and not the headphone jack, you won't really get much improvement in sound. For less than that, I bought a Zoom h2N with offers spectacular sound quality, a variable mic system that allows me to choose the pattern that suits the particular configuration of musicians, tremendous flexibility in file type and virtually limitless capacity. I then upload the files to my desktop, edit, upload to iTunes and thence to my iPad, which is my primary music device.

But note that I am far from an audio expert, and there may be iPad solutions I'm not aware of.

Edited by Jim Besser

At the Boston Early Music Festival this past June, Peter Sykes, a well known early music keyboard player, gave a talk on playing from an iPad. He uses forScore, Airturn (bluetooth page turning pedal), and recommends a scanner app for turning photos of sheet music (taken with the iPad) into pdfs. He also pointed out the IMSLP.org site, which is a great source of music.

I asked him if the size of the screen (being smaller than standard 8.8 x 11 inch paper) presents a problem, but he said the fact that it's backlit more than makes up for the diminished size.

• 2 weeks later...