Dipper

Seán Ó Fearghail

Well, there is a place called Ripley, Tennessee near Memphis. It's a bit too far out of the way for me to check it out in person on my way to Noel Hill's class in Cincinnati. But the big question is why is it being sold in £ sterling while the item is in Tennessee and of course the seller is brand new with no history. I've got all the concertinas I could ever want, so I'll leave it up to someone else to sleuth it out.

Ross Schlabach

The Tennessee listing and the price in GBP seems more than a little hinkey.

In the description, "He has never found any fault with this instrument...only he is too slow!"

A not a native speaker of American English I'd wager.

Scam it is!

I knew I'd seen that quote before. The text of it was in rererence to a different instrument. It went like this:

"He has never found any fault with this instrument...only he is too slow! The sides are rosewood and the raised endplates silver with a floral pattern and the..."

It was located here at one point.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/dipper-concertina--anglo-31-buttons-wheatstone-london-3400/103805167

If it was in Ripley I would have already been in my car ;-)

The Dipper in the latest eBay listing is a different one than shown on the London Craigslist post. Different metal ends and the new listing has an extra button on the C row. So we are slowly putting together the evidence, like Foyle or Endeavor, to confirm our suspicions.

Ross Schlabach

[i still can't quite fathom why concertinas?]

ok, i'll bite and glibly gin up a theory....how's this----i actually kinda believe there's something to it. there was a "concertina bubble" that probly hit its height in the couple of years prior to the big ole crash. as others on this site have noted, this bubble was over the Anglo due to a concomitant flurry of interest in ITM.--a sincere revival in Ireland and elsewhere, intensified by a "Riverdance"-fueled "World Music" trendiness flareup which has recently died down a lot.

ECs have gone up in price, but it wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to put it that in a very tiny subsection-of-a-subgroup-of-an-arcane-and-obscure-yet-fanatical-nichey-subculture, there was even kind of a frenzy over Anglos due to scarcity and long wait lists for new ones, specifically top-quality, top-mark vintage examples and top-quality, top-mark new examples such as Dippers.

now i'm getting to the nut of it--during this pre-crash frenzy period, people would throw down thousands (well, thousands and thousands, is more like it) to purchase alleged top-quality Anglo concertinas with no due diligence, investigation or vetting. this phenom was discussed and marveled over plenty on this site. you'd see people paying six or seven thousand on the 'bay for unrestored, unvetted, dilapidated Jeffries concertinas from some antique store, with zero questions asked as to the reeds, the pans, anything. i personally saw people in rural ireland mobbing the dealers to buy Jeffries concertinas for their kids at huge prices with no examination of the concertina's interior and no questions asked regarding assurances as to originality of the reeds, condition of the mechanism, nothing.

and....all this was duly noted by the sociopaths and creeps out there who are always looking for an easy, fast score. "why concertinas?" the goods that people will pay large sums for with little-to-no due diligence are actually pretty limited. there has to be that frenzy, where people kinda lose their heads. and for a window of a few years there, that happened with Anglo concertinas. the scamsters took note, and they're still at it.....

Ah, that makes perfect sense. In other words there's a market for the scamsters...albeit a thin market. Thanks for the refresher economics lesson, especially as it relates to an instantenious global marketplace. Happy squeezing!