Edgley Heritage Model

Hello All,

Last summer, Frank Edgley announced he would be building a line of concertinas using traditional style reeds. I got to try his prototype and then put an order in for one. It recently arrived, #401, the first production model. I have been greatly enjoying this new concertina... It looks and sounds fantastic! He wanted it to sound as good as possible with nothing left to guesswork, so in addition to the traditional style reeds he cloned the reed pan geometry of a vintage Wheatstone Linota. I would say that it worked - the instrument has a wonderful tone. He does put his usual action mechanism on it, which I have always found to be so easy to play. It's very responsive. In terms of appearance, mine is mostly black, to look as traditional as possible, though there is just a bit of edge trim in Mexican Bocote to reveal it as something new. (However, he will do whatever exotic wood one would like.)

I posted a couple of sample recordings of the instrument, mic'd fairly close in mono with a condenser mic in a small room, so as to get as clean a sound as I could:

The Old Torn Petticoat/Tim Moloney's (reels)

The Maid on the Green, Palm Sunday (jigs)

Tom

post-10089-0-93802400-1363471467_thumb.jpg

post-10089-0-28790500-1363471477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Lawrence

I ordered one of these myself and have been looking forward to it being completed. I'm expecting that to be about June, but whenever it is, I'll be happy to see it arrive. I've long been a fan of Frank's light quick action and I'm thinking that action paired with the sound of traditional reeds will be an excellect combination and just what I've been looking for.

Whoa, sounds great (and nice playing Tom). BTW, that first tune is the Old Torn Petticoat (http://thesession.org/tunes/368) I believe as the Corner House is a much different tune (http://thesession.org/tunes/479), at least if Irish tune names are to be believed. Sounds very similar to my Suttner 38 when I play along with you, really similar actually. Looks great and sounds great, nice job Frank!

gcoover: Unfortunately the only people I know who do that kind of music play E.C. If I run into someone who does I'll see if I can get a recording, but don't wait too eagerly...

daglenn: Of course, you are right. I'm always getting the names of those two particular tunes muddled up. I've edited the original post to have the correct name.