Types Of 55Key Maccann.

I don't know if the two 55 key Maccann Layouts have been defined on another topic at some stage but, as I have a heavy Cold and thus I'm not working today and as a result I am bored and it is too early for daytime TV type of boredom... let's define and discuss these interesting intermediate sized Duets, just in case we come across one somewhere.

Hmm, a satisfyingly long sentence to begin with ! :rolleyes:

There exist two keyboard layouts for Lachenal 55 key Maccann concertinas. I'm using the term 'Maccann' even though Dirge suggests that it should be ' Wheatstone Duet' because a' Lachenal Wheatstone Duet' title could cause even more confusion.

The first type of Lachenal 55 key Maccann could be defined as having the Right hand keyboard starting with its lowest note as G above middle C. This layout is the same as the Wheatstone 56 key Duet except that Wheatstone's designation includes the Air key in its button count.

Probably this first type is the more common version being the next step up from the 46 key.

The second type of Lachenal 55 key Maccann differs from the first in that the Right hand keyboard's lowest note is Middle C.

The Left hand keyboards of both types are the same.

This can cause some confusion but it is very simple to spot the difference even with out pushing any buttons or 'being there';

Each has a slightly different Right hand keyboard;

The lowest note G type has five buttons in the first 3 vertical rows (rows running perpendicular to the hand rail).. starting from the Air key side.

The lowest note C type has five buttons in the first 2 vertical rows... starting from the Air key side. The third row has six keys, to accomodate the low D#.

These two keyboard differ at the high notes end as well; the 'low note G' type has 6 buttons in only the fourth row away from the air key and tops out at Bb.

The 'low note C' type has 6 buttons in only the third row away from the air key.Therefore the high end of its keyboard patern does not form a chevron.

This is just a simple visual recognition tool which could be usefull when you pass that Junk Shop window miles from home on a Sunday, as one does, and there in full view through the dingy rain soaked glass is a difficult to identify Concertina.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

The lachenal 55 buttons duet with right side beginning in low C, that I bought from Chris Algar time ago, is the second type and it has the 3rd row with six keys as you tell.

Do you want anything to check in my concertina?

No, I don't think so, at the moment, but you could tell us all how you are enjoying it !

Thanks for the confirmation,

Geoff.

Do you think the 'low C variant' was a Lachenal-only thing? (There are bound to be the inevitable exceptions by special order, but generally)

I would have just said it was '56 key = low G, 58 key = low C' until recently.

PS I, myself, certainly wouldn't worry about the low RH notes after my experience with the 46. With a bigger instrument where you might play off written music, yes.

I don't sing, in any serious way, as I play; perhaps the lower range suits accompaniment?

Edited by Dirge

A Lachenal -only thing? Well at least as far as their cataloges (price lists) are concerned. So, yes a standard offering that was only made (the offer) by Lachenals. Both companies suggest that they would make anything a customer wanted, of course.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

with a 57 are you assured of getting down to C on the right, or do some of those also go only to G on the right?

Whilst there does appear to be some confusion about this, and there will always be an exception, the basic answer is Yes you will get down to C but check the profile of the line of buttons closest to the hand rail.. if the nearest button to the hand rail is in the third row away from the air key then you will have a low C.

Caveat; with larger keyboards things may be different and then there are Specials! ^_^

Edited by Geoff Wooff

The lachenal 55 buttons duet with right side beginning in low C, that I bought from Chris Algar time ago, is the second type and it has the 3rd row with six keys as you tell.

Do you want anything to check in my concertina?

No, I don't think so, at the moment, but you could tell us all how you are enjoying it !

Thanks for the confirmation,

Geoff.

It is long to tell, by now I am not playing it a lot because I am involved in another writing projects and it consumes all my free time. Moreover it is a illegal inmigrant in my home, stored in a case of another "legal" duet concertina (the other 46 buttons concertina that I bought time ago). I bought it because of your suggestion that it would be very useful to have a duet concertina with the low C range in the right side, and I thought that it was a nice price for it. But it is in the limb of the "invisible" concertinas, and I take it out the case some times when I am alone ;-) Then the feel of playing it is a mixture of guilty and nice sensations. My wife doesn't share a lot my musical enthusiasm, keenness ??, and she doesn't understand very much (but she accepts finally) why I need another concertinas. Then the last concertinas don't appear when they come, only drop by drop ;-) by a kind of magic. It is evident also moreover because the perspective of future here in Spain.