Need a recommendation for repairperson, SF Bay Area

Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance if this is not the best area in the forum for this query. (I'm a TOTAL newbie. I'll learn!)

I just purchased a secondhand Stagi 48 button EC (built back in the 80s, I believe) and am thrilled to have it (even though I can only play a C major scale at this point. :) ) I've noticed that the LH B (above middle C) button sticks intermittently. It feels like it needs to be adjusted. It looks slightly askew and I can feel it hitting something ever so slightly when I press it. (Tone not affected.) To investigate I only went so far as to remove the end cover; once I opened it up I was not comfortable with trying to dislodge the piece with the buttons and reeds. So I need a repairperson. I'm in the SF Bay Area. Can anyone recommend someone?

Thanks in advance,

-Amy

Hi Amy

Welcome. I am in SF. There isn't a true concertina repair person in our area. For real work I have sent concertina to the Button Box in Massachusetts or Greg Jowaisas in Kentucky. I recommend both.

There is an accordion shop/repair person in Oakland named Smythe who might agree to work on it. Call him and see, and see how long it would take.

For your instrument I would consider the cost to ship it away and repair versus the monetary value of the instrument too.

But your problem sounds like it could only need a simple tweak that you could do yourself.You might be able to see what is interfering with the pad or arm.It sounds like you have a minor mechanical adjustment to make to fix your problem and you can probably do it yourself, once you overcome

your hesitancy about messing around inside your concertina.

Good luck,

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Good to know about the (lack of) options in our area. I'm betting that it *is* a very minor thing that I could tweak myself. I'll just have to work on building up my courage! :)

Stagis are not as delicate as the British-made vintage (or even modern) concertinas. You don't need a real concertina repair person. You just need someone who's good at taking things apart, figuring out how they work and fixing them (and, of course, putting them back together). If that doesn't describe you, I'll bet you know someone it does describe.

Thanks, everyone. RESOLVED! Guess I just needed to be shamed into taking this into my own hands. And the article about the Stagis (with photos) helped me understand exactly what I needed to take apart. I took it apart and as you probably already have guessed, it took me all of 30 seconds to diagnose and tweak. (And I've conquered the fear of opening the concertina beyond the end cap.) I'll try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum from this point forward. :)