Stroke recovery.

I've not been around this forum for a little while or I would have replied before now. Like you I'm a stroke survivor, and that means we're ahead in the odds. One third of stroke victims die, one third are left seriously disabled and only a third come out of it with something approaching a normal life. That's you and me, mate. Be thankful.

My stroke affected my left side and I remember feeling relieved that since I play the G/D anglo where the melody is almost entirely on the right hand I would still be fine to play melody. I still clearly remember the feeling of outrage I felt when I got home from hospital and tried to play, only to find I was all over the place! I could hardly play two or three right notes in sequence. That feeling of outrage is important. When I first met my physiotherapist after the stroke she asked me what I did for a living and what my interests were and that sort of stuff. When I said I was a musician she broke into a broad smile. It seems musicians really resent anything that stops them playing and fight it, hard. They tend to make better than average recoveries from stroke. So fight to play, it can only do you good.

Very best wishes,

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Thanks for the encouragement Chris,

I did get some of that reading about your experiences of a while back.

Currently Duet is still easier except for little finger left hand... EC is getting re-wired, I'm more used to trying to do the imposible on it anyway.

I've started work again and that has shown up some other 'one side paralysis' problems ,like body positioning (balancing) etc...

Still, as you say, we are the lucky ones.

Finnest regards,

Geoff.

Glad you are improving. It made me sit up because I'd become a bit complacent having got quite fit in treating Type 2 Diabetes and having good blood sugar and cholesteroll by diet and exercise . I stopped taking the blood pressure tablets and statins rregularly. Just recently, having had my 73rd birthday last week I was getting bad headaches etc and bought a blood pressure meter which scared me! I visited the surgery and now I am back on the pills and the rreadings are coming down. I had been feeling muzzy and less coordinated and became aware of what a stroke might do to me. So thanks Geoff and Chris for your wise words. Merry Christmas and here's to a New Year!

Edited by michael sam wild

... bought a blood pressure meter which scared me! .

That'll teach you!

I'm told that at one stage the motorcycle makers Triumph fitted oil pressure guages to their new machines (in the 1930's) but got so fed up with people contacting them concerned about the various readings they got that they replaced it with a mechanical version of an oil presssure light instead.

Happy Xmas to you too Mike!

Thanks Dirge same to you in NZ! Maybe I should just stick some opaque tape over meter dispalys or lights like we did on old cars and motorbikes. I often do that when the gas emission light comes on in my Suzuki car when the computerised sensor goes ape, whn I peel it off the problem has usually gone away. Maybe that explains my cavalier attitude to my innards.

Thanks Dirge same to you in NZ! Maybe I should just stick some opaque tape over meter dispalys or lights like we did on old cars and motorbikes. I often do that when the gas emission light comes on in my Suzuki car when the computerised sensor goes ape, whn I peel it off the problem has usually gone away. Maybe that explains my cavalier attitude to my innards.

It's true. Our 'normal car' has a 'check engine' light on constantly. Stupid thing. The Morgan has a charging light, that's it. I got rid of the others when I tidied up the dashboard...

Last saturday night I was able again to play with "the band" for the monthly Ball in our local town. I had an especially wonderfull time, watching a hall full of people enjoying their dancing and I felt so priviliged to be in such fine company, among friends.

This experience was particularly poignant for me because three months ago I had a Stroke and when I came out of hospital the first thing I wanted to do was check my ability to play my instruments. Well, this was very frustrating, as anyone who has suffered a Stroke will tell you.

My first attempts at playing the English were a total failure,of course, because my stroke had affected control of my left side the coordination of left and right hands was nowhere near fine enough to get anything more than gibberish music.

So I tried the Duet and that made more sense... at least I could play the melody on the right and fumble bits of accompaniment on the left.. it got me started again.

I was heartened and helped by the postings of other Stroke victims here on Cnet too and so thanks for that.In fact Forums like Cnet are so helpfull and entertaining when one has nothing much to do during a recuperation period.When I felt sorry for myself I could take heart from the fact that my Stroke was not too severe and that I should just take it as a warning to start behaving myself.

With constant daily practice I have regained most of the use of my left hand and the EC is back "in the Band" and my Maccann playing has improved too.

You might never aprieciate the value of what you have untill it's gone!

Geoff, I haven't been around here for a while and was shocked and dismayed to hear your news. I wish you the most heartfelt good fortune with your recovery and a joyous Christmas. Although we've never met I appreciate your comments and opinions and have great respect for your depth of knowledge. Good luck mate.

Andrew