Concertina in Ridley Scott's Prometheus

From the New York Review of Books (August 16, 2012)

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/aug/16/day-android/

In a review of the new Ridley Scott film, "Prometheus":

"The ship’s captain (Idris Elba) plays a concertina and reminisces about old rock records to show that he’s possessed of authentic human warmth ... The likable presence of Idris Elba and his concertina is about all that anchors Prometheus to any recollection of the pleasures of earthly life."

Worth seeing?

Not really. This has been mentioned on another thread. There is no real concertina playing, just a few lame jokes about it and a mention that this particular instrument once belonged to Stephen Stills (who other members of the crew had never heard of and I'm not aware played the concertina). Some cacophonous squeezing (I don't even think it's the sound of a concertina on the soundtrack--sounds more like an accordion). I have no idea why they bothered to include a concertina, and having made that decision, why they didn't take it seriously.

Hello,

I saw it, and I liked it. The English concertina part is very short, unfortunately. But the captain does play it a bit, and that's good. There are some very beautiful scenes, real and computer imagined.

Russell Hedges

Aquarussell

But the captain does play it a bit, and that's good.

Real playing? Or just the cacophony I remember (it's been a month or two)?

IMHO, it wasn't music. He just pushed a few of the buttons and pulled on the bellows. I'd call it more of a concertina sound.

And that was the high point of the movie!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
But the captain does play it a bit, and that's good.

Real playing? Or just the cacophony I remember (it's been a month or two)?

IMHO, it wasn't music. He just pushed a few of the buttons and pulled on the bellows. I'd call it more of a concertina sound.

And that was the high point of the movie!! :lol:

But you're describing standard English concertina playing no? B)